Deana from OD

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
aussiefrog

Deana from OD

Post by aussiefrog »

And another. I've deleted the first part of the link, the part I've shown is similar to Amanda Troys' link.

Thank you for your reply. I wish to proceed with booking your property for these dates, but i can't find the exact location of the property on google maps. Would we need to rent a car for our stay?
I've been trying to locate the property using the map on the listing, but it doesn't seem to be the one that i'm interested in booking, could you confirm that the following link on Google Maps shows the correct location of your property? Is it the one tagged with the red pin?

caribhealthng.com/photo.php?id=a2VtcC5mcmFuY2VAZ21haWwuY29t

Please let me know how to move forward with the booking.

Thanks,
Deana
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Exactly the same text from Amalia via OD with similar caribhealthng. com google map link.
Gazpacho

Post by Gazpacho »

Had exactly the same one from Alonso Diez (that one had a phone number!)
Shouldn't HA and OD be more proactive in emailing owners with examples of all these scams. It's great for those of us who use LMH as we can see which are the scams, but many owners are not and might easily be taken in. I see another year coming of adverse publicity, which I think has already affected bookings this year.
Also since these are all attempted frauds, could we send them to the police (or is there no chance of discovering who these people are?)
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

Yes - me too from a fairly believable "Emily Stone" - the only thing that raised my suspicions with the initial enquiry was that she asked about my "villa" which was odd as mine is clearly a cottage or a farmhouse! There was a "Belfast" phone number provided which made it look more legitimate, but if you ring it it doesn't receive incoming calls.

But then exactly the same 2nd email asking about walking distance and rental cars. The supposed googlemaps link - in case anyone doesn't know - tells you you've been logged out and takes you to a fake looking webmail dialogue box with your email address pre-filled in, just requiring you to share your password...

I presume it only takes one or two people to fall for it to make it worth their while. Very tiresome as you can't be 100% certain at the initial enquiry.