Egor Baklanov

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
apexblue

Egor Baklanov

Post by apexblue »

Egor Baklanov been busy thru HA.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

Yep - got it this morning...
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

Me too! I was just checking on here before pressing the delete button!

Since the new OD has been launched I've had 2 spams - never had any before!!
annafern

Post by annafern »

Please, please, please can people forward the scam emails to spoof@homeaway.com. I am getting sick of the quantity of scam emails i am getting from HA, so the more of us who can send them copies they may get the message they need to tighten up their security.
www.bluelagoon.co.uk www.uniqueholidaycottages.co.uk
I own two websites - Blue Lagoon which I use to market my own holiday cottages. I also own Unique Holiday Cottages - a directory of luxury holiday lets in England and Wales.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

Me too through the new OD, I shall have a look how to report it.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I think there is now an option within the enquiry on your dashboard to report it as spam.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

Done - It has removed it from my inbox.
welshfred

Post by welshfred »

Hi,

I have also received an e mail from Egor Baklanov - through Owners Direct. I thought it sounded suspicious but I am new to holiday letting so not really too sure what I am looking for. Also, one question which will probably sound silly, but why is it a spam? What is he trying to do? From the information that he has requested I don't think he could do very much. Or am I wrong? Here is what he wrote:

Thanks for the updated information.We are okay with the accommodation and cost .I'll make an arrangement with our Accountant to make and mail a Bank Check for the full amount through Regular Mail so we can be assured of our reservation.I don't have access to a bank transfer nor pay pal account.I can only instruct my Accountant to issue the Bank check in UK pounds for easy cashing at your bank so i hope you can understand.So provide me with the information she need below:

She will need the above information...YOUR FULL NAMEBILLING ADDRESS CITY STATE ZIP CODEPHONE NUMBER /CELL PHONE
We would also like to confirm the reservation on the following information:
Mr & Mrs Egor BaklanovAktobe Street.5/22 Kharkov 61001,Ukraine,
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

This could be a preface to several scams. Who has an accountant but not a bank account?

Did you reply to an earlier enquiry or was this the first one? Why is he thanking you for updated information if you haven't had any previous dialogue?

Most commonly these are cheque frauds, overpayment scams or just attempts to gradually secure more and more personal data so they can hack you. Finally you may find that once you trust the enquirer they send you a lovely virus infected attachment or web link to open. The scammy possibilities are endless! :D
welshfred

Post by welshfred »

Thanks Casscat,

Yes, I did reply to his first e mail. Should I just not respond to this and delete? Should it be reported to Owner's Direct? Is there realistically very little they can do to prevent scammers?
Highmead

Post by Highmead »

I'm new to the forum but sounds like egor is known to you. Got an email couple of days ago wanting to book my property for a week. I got a bit sus when the cheque was coming from an accountant, then another stating that the cheque included his travel costs and he wanted me to refund the difference. Cancelled all requests and reported as spam.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Okay, so it's a straightforward overpayment scam. How unoriginal of Egor :mrgreen:

welshfred please do forward the correspondence to spoof@homeaway.com. You will not get an acknowledgement, but the more of these trashy things that are sent to HA to greater their understanding will be of the daily cross we all have to bear. It's like reporting a crime really - if you don't report it the local police think they have a low crime area!
joddle

Post by joddle »

Just got one from Ivor Bolokhov - did not even look any further than the name :)
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

joddle wrote:Just got one from Ivor Bolokhov - did not even look any further than the name :)
Ah yes - Ivor has a particularly vicious man-hating sister called Ripsa.......
GRL

Post by GRL »

greenbarn wrote:
joddle wrote:Just got one from Ivor Bolokhov - did not even look any further than the name :)
Ah yes - Ivor has a particularly vicious man-hating sister called Ripsa.......
OUCH!!