Reviving the Portugal section with qn re furniture

For topics that are specific to Portugal, please go here.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Hi EI, my property's actually at the Eastern end of the Algarve and I don't use a management company.

Hopefully some of the others might be along with some ideas for you.
Entirelyidentifiable

Post by Entirelyidentifiable »

Thanks Tavi.

I have a few recommendations from people like the lawyer and estate agent but am suspicious they just all recommend their mates!
KateK

Post by KateK »

Hi

We use a company called Spick n Span Algarve as managers for our apartment in Vilamoura and have done since 2008. They meet and greet our guests, arrange airport transfers and baby equipment hire, clean and carry out or arrange emergency repairs or maintenance.

Can't recommend them highly enough.

Kate
If it's true that if you look like your passport photo you are too sick to travel I should have given up long ago!
Entirelyidentifiable

Well since my other message, the house manager seems to have stepped up to the plate and I'm actually pretty impressed so plan to stick with her.

Still wishing that damn delayed Ikea was opening sooner!
teba18

Post by teba18 »

Just a quick update - we just got back from the sunny Algarve and the linen place in Almancil looks to have closed down and is for sale.
Entirelyidentifiable

That's a shame. My house manager was just saying it's a good place to go. Obviously not any more!

I will measure up the beds and if they are suitable size wise might just ship out an order from one of the online UK suppliers (is it Out of Eden people on here recommend I think?). Suspect they are not UK bed sizes though as the vendors were not Brits.
Entirelyidentifiable

Planning on going to Maquedones first as it looks like a one-stop-shop. What is it like price wise? I'm happy to pay for decent quality, stylish stuff a la John Lewis so it looks like it will literally fit the bill.
tavi

Post by tavi »

I can't remember, think I paid €15 each for white bath sheets last year. And I think I paid about €90 for 4 made to measure dining chair cushions. (I've been buying my bedlinen from la Redoute mail order).

Maquedones will deliver (and also make or order practically anything) as I said. The showroom is run by the son and has massive stocks of garden furniture & accessories, towels, and sample fabrics for cushions. The shop (in town) is (or was) run by the father and is smaller but stuffed to the gills. Worth checking them both out. They all speak good English.
Entirelyidentifiable

It sounds perfect! For indoor chairs etc. do you remember if it is the shop or warehouse I'd need?

Have downloaded a map but hoping we don't get lost amidst Loule's outer reaches!

Love the sound of the making up services as might need a few things and the price sounds reasonable!
tavi

Post by tavi »

for the dining chair cushions? was the warehouse - but I don't think it matters :D
teba18

Post by teba18 »

I'm sure Maquedones will be fine but be sure to check delivery times. eg Some friends bought a bed in Conforama a couple of weeks ago and only found out after they paid that they'd be waiting 12 weeks to get it! As they're new to the Algarve, they assumed this was normal and accepted it. They were amazed when we told them we bought beds at Algarmoveis in Almancil a couple of years ago (after a bit of 'pleasant negotiation' they were actually cheaper than Maquedones) and they were delivered later the same day and the old ones taken away.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Good reminder Teba, always ask what the delivery times are wherever you shop.

Perhaps I should add I'm not guarantee-ing anything re Maquedones...just suggesting it. It may not suit EI at all :D

Would be nice to have a John Lewis in Algarve wouldn't it?

8)
Entirelyidentifiable

Hello,
Reporting back now we are home again.

We went to Maquedones (after taking about 10 wrong turns but that is our fault! MUST buy a satnav for Portugal...) and it is like an Aladdin's Cave. I didn't really like the lighting but we bought a few textile items.
The staff were very good and helpful plus it was quite charming to go into a shop with such a traditional feel. I suspect it hasn't changed for decades. I will go back for some re-upholstering an maybe curtains.
Re delivery times there, a contact out there swears by them and says they delivered his stuff almost as quickly as he returned home after buying it!

We went to Radio Popular in Faro for a TV, kettle and toaster and that was a decent experience. Helpful staff. It was completely empty so that meant they had time to assist us.

Also passed the Aki DIY store downstairs but didn't have time to go in and suspect that might be good for a few things.

Finally we raided Zara Home for accessories e.g. a lantern, cushions. Lovely stuff. Grumpiest shop assistant ever and I did try my Portuguese on her (maybe that's why :) )

I am probably going to ship a load of crockery and cutlery, plus new towels from over though as I think it's much easier to find things here and do that.

So, we're getting there...shame that Ikea in Loule hasn't opened though!
tavi

Post by tavi »

good to hear your update EI. Yes, it's difficult to get everything under one roof here.

I was going to suggest Zara home - I love it.

Another place is Bo Concept (they exist in the UK) - they have one in Almancil in the main street next to the BPI bank. Not cheap but very stylish...kind of modern classic, if that's the look you're after. Lighting furniture and accessories.
Entirelyidentifiable

I spotted a bigger Bo Concept under Radio People opposite Forum too - worth knowing if you are a fan.

For those who are heading to Maquedones, I forgot to say, the new showroom has some lighting and tons of garden furniture BUT for textiles, you still have to go to the Central Loule shop. Worth calling and checking which store you need for specific items as they are not very close together.