Unsure what to do

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
bessie

Unsure what to do

Post by bessie »

Just received my first very badly worded booking request,English words used incorrectly.
It is a google email address,but also a mobile given.
Do I answer email,or ring mobile not too good on all this scam and checking.
Maybe I just be over careful.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Don't ring the mobile number.

Cut and paste the text here, but leave out the sender's name and contact details in case it's genuine.

People can then make further suggestions.

AND - don't click on any links or open any attachments in the email
bessie

Post by bessie »

Good afternoon
Am Mr XXX and I want to inform you that me and my wife will like to renting your accommodation for one week commencing xx to xx for two adult.
I will be looking forward to read back from you with the availability and the total price.
Best regards
Xx
Email address xxxx340@googlemail.com

Sorry had to write it out hudl won't cut and paste.
No attachments on email.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Sounds fairly typical for the start of a scam but why the fear of answering? Definitely don't phone though. It won't do you any harm by answering and confirming it's a scam. In fact you'll learn much more by finding out how they try to trick you instead all this second guessing.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

kevsboredagain wrote:Sounds fairly typical for the start of a scam but why the fear of answering? It won't do you any harm by answering and confirming it's a scam. In fact you'll learn much more by finding out how they try to trick you instead all this second guessing.
Yes, I've had very similar in the past and it's not until they respond that you will know if it's a scam or not. A typical example is that they will reply with a PDF attachment stating they have included all their personal info in the PDF or they will request you seal (sorry, deal, was listening to Seal on the radio! (Coincidence?)) with their accountant or similar.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

When I am doubtful, suddenly the ONLY way I take payment is direct bank to bank transfer. That usually sorts out the sheep from the goats. If it comes through a website which screens your email address then reply that way, rather than giving them your own email address.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

It's a good idea though to keep a separate email address just for replying to suspect enquirers like this.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Don't respond Bessie. It's a scam. I've had exactly the same one. Graham Williams per chance??
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Yes it's a scam. Responding may not cause you any problems, or it may increase your likelihood of being a target for future scammers. Who knows? If you're sufficiently tech-savvy to create additional email addresses for scam communications, maybe that's the way to go, assuming they haven't already contacted you on your email address?
Responding may cause you hassle and increase your stress level.
I'd delete it.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

greenbarn wrote:Yes it's a scam. Responding may not cause you any problems, or it may increase your likelihood of being a target for future scammers. Who knows? If you're sufficiently tech-savvy to create additional email addresses for scam communications, maybe that's the way to go, assuming they haven't already contacted you on your email address?
Responding may cause you hassle and increase your stress level.
I'd delete it.
I would disagree. I respond to nearly all of them and try to learn how the scammers work and what tricks they use to try and con you. The more I know, the safer I feel. I get far less scam emails that all those who post here, which is evidence that replying does not necessary generate more scam emails. These are scams not spam. If you simply ignore all badly worded emails, then one day you're more likely to fall prey to a scammer who does not word that first email badly. You then won't recognise the procedure they may then try to follow.

You need to be tech savvy to create an email account?
bessie

Post by bessie »

Just had another booking request from him ,different dates it really is hard to know if a scam without answering in some form.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

Out of interest, what are the first five digits of the mobile number?
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

edinburgh wrote:Out of interest, what are the first five digits of the mobile number?
Mine was an 07031 number. I had ignored the enquiry anyway but just googled it an it's a premium phone line scam so don't phone them back Bessie.

Thanks for the heads up Edinburgh.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

Bunny wrote:
edinburgh wrote:Out of interest, what are the first five digits of the mobile number?
Mine was an 07031 number. I had ignored the enquiry anyway but just googled it an it's a premium phone line scam so don't phone them back Bessie.
Yup - no legitimate guest will ever have a number starting 070

070 numbers are a pain. They're "follow me" numbers, which are not assigned to a mobile at all, they just divert to another mobile number, landline, or (most likely in this case) a number abroad.

My policy is to never, ever ring 070 numbers.
joddle

Post by joddle »

edinburgh wrote:
Bunny wrote:
Yup - no legitimate guest will ever have a number starting 070

070 numbers are a pain. They're "follow me" numbers, which are not assigned to a mobile at all, they just divert to another mobile number, landline, or (most likely in this case) a number abroad.

My policy is to never, ever ring 070 numbers.
+1 from me - virtually no-one genuinely looking for accommodation would use and 070 number - they only do that to look like a genuine UK number hoping you won't notice - AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.