Loo rolls

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Essar wrote:"Toilet Roll Etiquette" by William Crapper available from all good book shops - paperback edition available in 2, 4, 6, 9, 12 & 18 issues.

Suggestions for chapters wanted (e.g. "First lift the lid", "What if I'm wearing false nails?" & "Standing up is a no no")
"How to Choose the Right Puppy"
"Bathroom Tissue or Bog Roll - What's in a Name?"
"More Plies than Shakespeare - Why Thickness Matters"
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

JanB wrote:.......forgot to say, I NEVER leave a part used roll on the holder - a new one every time. It is one of my bugbears to see a part used roll - think about it! YUK.
So what do you do in restaurants, hotels and other public loos, not to mention round at your friends/relatives???
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

PW in Polemi wrote:
JanB wrote:.......forgot to say, I NEVER leave a part used roll on the holder - a new one every time. It is one of my bugbears to see a part used roll - think about it! YUK.
So what do you do in restaurants, hotels and other public loos, not to mention round at your friends/relatives???
I've never thought about it until now, but I guess that's the reason for the design of those dreadful drum sized loo rolls that are fully encased so that you can only touch the end hanging down and tear off on the serrated casing. I hate them because the roll end always seems to disappear up inside and you then have to stick your hand up blindly fiddling around trying to find the end! So it defeats the object. But of course, not all public loos use this system, so the predicament is still up for debate....
JanB

Post by JanB »

PW in Polemi wrote:
This is not about me and I am a little upset you should ask if it affects whether I lead a normal life or not - it is about how I like my guests to find the cottage and, in my opinion, it just looks nice to see a new roll on the holder, rather than a part used one. I realise not everyone takes the same viewpoint as we are all different and I respect everyone's opinion.

Am looking forward to next week when such things will not be of any concern to me whatsoever. This week has been a trying one, and I must admit I have felt very low indeed. All I have tried to do is to see it from the guest perspective and make the little things count.

Rant over......sorry, you just caught me at a low ebb (not like me as I am generally very positive and upbeat).
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

Sorry to read your last week is being such a crap week, Jan. At least you won't have second thoughts about becoming a guest rather than an owner when you close the doors (or empty the keysafe!) for the last time.

I'm with you on the new loo roll, incidentally. New loo roll, dry shower / bath and basin. My intention is to make the bathroom look as though arriving guests are the first to use it - ever! I want to make those who are a little neurotic about bathroom cleanliness feel comfortable and those who aren't concerned won't notice. Comfort with unfamiliar surroundings is often about the submiminal things, imo. For adults, anyway.

I don't fold the loo roll into points, though. :wink:
JanB

Post by JanB »

Thank you Normandie, you always have such a wonderful way of putting things.....

I feel calm and serene again. Am thinking I might just leave a half used loo roll when I have prepared it for the new owners, just for my own devilment!

Edinburgh, bet you are chuckling at the various twists and turns of this thread, including the funny animations.
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Normandie wrote: dry shower / bath and basin. My intention is to make the bathroom look as though arriving guests are the first to use it - ever!
I don't fold the loo roll into points, though. :wink:
Always dry bathrooms, including polished taps! :wink: The pointy loo rolls depends on what time I've got and my mood at the time! :lol: Sometimes I feel creative, at other times I'm just not inspired!
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

JanB, sorry to have inadvertently added to your woes this week - next week will be much better for you, I'm sure. I had the impression that your bugbear over the part used loo roll was not simply for your guests. But I certainly agree with you, a brand new, end still glued down, never been opened, loo roll looks better from a guest's point of view.

Thanks to all the LMHers, I keep finding extra ways of improving the guests' experience :D
enike

loo rolls

Post by enike »

I am with Jan regarding new loo rolls. When somebody mentioned leaving half used rolls, I was wondering, if anybody would comment on this. As a guest, I would feel a little uncomfortable to find a half-used toilet roll, sorry:) and I am not a fussy guest, always happy with everything, never complaining, but a generous supply of loo rolls makes me appreciate the accommodation and the owner more, because there is an immediate feeling of "security" if you know what I mean:)

As to the half used loo rolls being wasted and environment: I suppose the cleaner or owner would take home the half used rolls and use it at home? or if the owner is not happy to use it, why would be the guest?

As to the pub loo and paper: I am always glad, if there is any! I usually still use my paper tissues:) But, a pub is a public place, whereas accommodation is "my home" for the time, if it makes sense:)

I have to say, whenever I have stayed at a self-catering accommodation, it was wonderful! (I never expected things to be provided, but there was always plenty of loo rolls, so it was a big bonus) I am really grateful for every owner (and all of you) who are working hard to make the guest´s stay an amazing experiene. Reading this site, I hope I became a better and more considerate guest myself:)
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Yes - I ask my cleaner to leave a new loo roll & spare in the bathroom cupboard...

I also ask her to leave the half used ones for me - so I use them when I stay!

Introduced the spare after comments from one guest who was surprised one wan't supplied ....

I discovered a previous cleaner was putting out an unused one but lining up the half used ones in the bathroom cupboard. Oh dear!!!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I'm afraid I'm in the don't waste category, so ask my cleaner to leave a roll if it has plenty on it still and then just leave a spare. I don't visit often enough to use the part used rolls myself and with frequently four changeovers in a week, due to short breaks, there's a lot of used rolls hanging around.

However I think the reality may be different but I'm not there to check. I don't count how many loo rolls get used, I just keep the supplies topped up. :wink:
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

Well loorollgate has reared its head again this week
this time 2 different guests

like everyone else i put enough rolls to cover what i think to cover the stay ( if a short break ) or enough to get them started if longer stays 1-2 weeks after all it is self catering
and yet again as i live on site a knock on my apartment door
" have you got any loo rolls " i was so tempted to say yes thank you and shut the door" but while i was talking to Mrs Guest i saw Mr trying to open the door of my housekeeping cupboard and saying to Mrs i think there is some in here !!!! AAHHH good job the cupboard has a new lock !!!
and while this was occurring guest number 2 came down the stairs and said Ahh Loo Rolls we have just run out !!

so either i can reply with a rude comment
Get your B***** own
what bit of self catering don't you understand !

and wait for the reviews to come in

so i relented gave them the look and sent them off with 1 roll each
with guess " they will be back "

can you still buy Izal ???

so again on the list for next season how to notify guests tactfully and politely
signs in the bathroom , guest information book include it in the welcome greeting ( hello welcome to Zur Alten Weinkelter and Germany oh if you are thinking of asking for any loo roll you know what the answer will be !! buy your b ***** own )

any idea's
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Zur Alten Weinkelter, I thought this thread was dead and buried. :lol:
I now email a document called 'Directions and Arrival Instructions' to guests once they pay their final balance. I include a list of the extensive range of items I supply. However, I make it very clear that, as a self catering property, the items are only intended to tide them over and that no further provisions will be provided. I also include a list of all the local supermarkets with opening times and postcodes. On that basis I would have no qualms in referring guests to it if they asked for any more supplies of anything. I don't charge hotel prices so I'm not going to supply unlimited amounts of anything and it's self catering.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Bunny wrote:Zur Alten Weinkelter, I thought this thread was dead and buried. :lol:
No, just flushed down the pan!
Sorry - I'm off for a wee while ... :oops:
I feel a little flushed ... :oops:
Shall I go while the going's good? :oops:

OK, sorry, I really am off - there's a glass of something chilled awaiting my attention :lol:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

PW in Polemi wrote:
Bunny wrote:Zur Alten Weinkelter, I thought this thread was dead and buried. :lol:
No, just flushed down the pan!
Sorry - I'm off for a wee while ... :oops:
I feel a little flushed ... :oops:
Shall I go while the going's good? :oops:

OK, sorry, I really am off - there's a glass of something chilled awaiting my attention :lol:
And just when you were on a roll........... :roll: