This is getting more and more sofisticated...

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Marta West

This is getting more and more sofisticated...

Post by Marta West »

Here the email I got today after cancelling the request and telling there was no availability!

"Hello
Thanks for your reply and assistance so far. I have just concluded arrangements with my family and we have decided to stay at your place for that period (1-8 October).
Every year, our entire family vacation renting and expenses are paid by my Company's Finance department; they are responsible for my family vacation expenses at your property
However a Certified Bank Cheque of (4.000 €) was earlier made out by the Authorities who are sponsoring my family vacation. The Cheque payment was meant to cover for the cost of our accommodation, car rental services, and other necessary arrangements for all the whole family.
I will not be able to make a deposit separately because all the money meant for paying for our accommodation came in one cheque package, Therefore my company would send you the Cheque (4.000€), so when you receive the check payment you are required to deduct the cost of your accommodation services and keep the balance for us (the cheque should clear in 2-7 working days).
I will give you further instructions on how to use the balance.
I need you to confirm this and provide the following information:

(1) YOUR FULL NAME (AS IT WOULD APPEAR ON THE CHEQUE)
(2) STREET NAME AND NUMBER
(3) POST CODE
(4) CITY
(5) COUNTRY
(6) PHONE NUMBER.

is there any car rental close to you?
I will await your email with the details so that instructions can be given for the cheque payment to be forwarded to you immediately.

Regards, "

It amazes me how people can take their time to put this together and believe other will fall into this...oh well, silly season has just started, rite?
:-)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

That one has been going round for at least 10 years.
Marta West

Post by Marta West »

I had a few like this, but not so long and so "detailed":-)
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I would have replied with a name and address from your local police station. Let them send a fake cheque there instead :lol: