Alex Edward / OD & VR

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
AngloDutch

Alex Edward / OD & VR

Post by AngloDutch »

Received an enquiry from an Alex Edward yesterday, from both VR and OD, which has turned out to be a scam.

Thought it strange that the dates asked for in the message were slightly different to the dates shown in the enquiry headline, though have seen this before in a genuine enqury.

Today received a reply that he wants to book for the original enquiry dates, yet I had replied that we had a booking between these dates, and had offered alternatives instead! :wink:

No doubt once I had banked his cheque, he would have asked me to refund it immediately or forward part of the payment on to Avis in Nigeria :wink: :
Hello,
Thank for your response, we are glad that the dates are available Sep 5-12, 2015, we certify with the price and we would love to book the dates. We are not at home at a moment, we are in Ukraine for a visit and we will be getting straight to your place for vacation, we are making the booking now to avoid any delay. We'll like to complete the reservation before we get back home in United Kingdom. I'll contact our Accountant to issue and mail a cheque for the full amount and send it through Regular Mail to you in order be assure of the reservation book, that is why we are making a full payment for the booking. So please provide me with the information needed below:
Your Full Name,
Billing Address,
City,
State,
Zip code,
Email
And Cell phone.
Best Regard.
martin451

Scam email: Martin Alexander from Ukraine

Post by martin451 »

Looks like the Ukranian scammers are up to their old tricks... Here's an Owners Direct enquiry I received today from someone allegedly called Martin Alexander - a variation on the same old theme:

Hello,
Thank for your response, we are glad that the dates are available, we certify with the price and we would love to book the dates. We are from Ukraine and we be coming to your place for vacation, we are making the booking now to be assure of the accommodation. We'll like to complete the reservation, I'll contact our sponsor which is right now in UK for seminal to issue and mail a cheque for the full payment and send to you through regular mail. So please provide me with the information needed below:
Your Full Name for payable, Billing Address, City, State,Zip code, Email and Cell phone.
Best Regard​

I told the enquirer that I can only accept online bookings via Owners Direct. Can't wait to hear their response to that...
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

The problem is that the incoming enquiry emails are getting better and you're not sure that their scams until you receive the reply. I can spot the phishing attempts as they have not been sent through the HA system (property id does not correspond to ours).
I've noticed a lot of phishing attempts recently purportedly coming from Dutch banks (often where we don't even hold an account). Hovering over the links in the emails, it's normally showing .ua for the Ukraine....

By the way, welcome to Lay My Hat.........