Weird junk emails

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Ecosse

Weird junk emails

Post by Ecosse »

Since adding a 'contact us' button on our website, we've been inundated with junk mail... no great surprise and Mr Gmj promptly added a 'captcha' (type in the code to see if you're human thingies) which has stopped the vast majority. All of that junk I would class as 'normal' though - SEO proposals, Mac cosmetics, etc.

However, in the last few days, we've been getting 3 or 4 emails into our in box with very weird text... here are the latest 2 as an example:

"From: Marina <irenekrot*****g@yahoo.com>
Subject:

Message Body:
There is no clinically-available blood test for the virus so the majority of carriers - of both genders - are unaware that they have the virus."

Followed several hours later by:

"From: Caroline <guillaume*****xoruj@yahoo.com>
Subject:

Message Body:
But when herpes goes into hiding during its latent (or inactive) period in the ganglia, it remains beyond the immune system system's reach."

They're not all about herpes, btw, this convoluted one also appeared this week:

"I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this increase."

I'm perplexed - are there people trying to get us to respond? If so, what does that do? Scam, selling stuff or what? There are no links to follow in the emails - with the exception of masking the address, I've copied them in their entirety.

Would be grateful to know if other LMHers have received emails like this and what you did about them, if anything. Mr Gmj is off to change the captcha to a more complex version, but will that stop these?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

They are just test emails to determine that your email address does not bounce back or require any other confirmation.

Nothing you can really do about it. Just ignore, or join my campaign to have all spammers stoned to death in public.

Over 93% of internet email traffic is spam. Over $1billion is spent on stopping Spam. Your chances of sending an email to a new "friend" or guest and getting through all these spam traps is about 85%. In other words 15% of your emails may well vanish. All because Spam is unregulated and allowed to flourish.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Thanks e-richard... we'll ignore them, then. Your campaign to have all spammers stoned to death publicly sounds attractive - how do I join? :lol:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

gitemontjoly wrote: Your campaign to have all spammers stoned to death publicly sounds attractive - how do I join? :lol:
First find some suitable pointy stones.
Then join the queue. :evil:
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Will I need a false beard?
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
kevsboredagain

Re: Weird junk emails

Post by kevsboredagain »

gitemontjoly wrote:Since adding a 'contact us' button on our website, we've been inundated with junk mail.
You also have a mailto tag without even any encryption on the email address. I would expect more and more spam as time goes by.
Ecosse

Re: Weird junk emails

Post by Ecosse »

kevsboredagain wrote:
gitemontjoly wrote:Since adding a 'contact us' button on our website, we've been inundated with junk mail.
You also have a mailto tag without even any encryption on the email address. I would expect more and more spam as time goes by.
Ah, okay, thanks for that, Kev - I'll pass that info on.