Is this a scam

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
lorra62

Is this a scam

Post by lorra62 »

This came direct from holiday lettings this evening for next year.
We are looking for a 6 month room / area to rent next year. How much would you charge per month for 2 people, husband and wife?
Kind Regards
T
I did reply asking for dates, and they replied
Hello,

It would be from April to October, no specific dates but would be for a total of 6 months
Sent from my iPad

Does it look like a scam. I did reply with a very large quote? But it is difficult to tell.
Last edited by lorra62 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Doesn't look like a scam, at the moment. Just firing off emails, left, right and centre, I suspect in early stages of planning a 6 month stay and seeing what comes back? I would continue if you are interested and drop if it turns dodgy with promise of payments by 'cashier's check' or the like.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Agree with Felicity.

I also wonder if you should edit out the name of the enquirer from your post, in case they turn out to be genuine.
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

I agree with the posts above. a) doesn't seem unreasonable that if someone needs to stay in an area and is making plans they don't have precise day / date yet and b) the enquirer's full name should not be included - I'd reduce it to just initials.

Would you risk setting up a tenancy with a booking of that length - or do the laws not work that way in Germany?
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

All that's said above.

The enquiry is almost too unusual to be a scam, and there's no other dodgy signs, but no bad thing to be aware of the possible directions it could take.
Definitely edit out the full name.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I find it highly unusual. If you are looking for a six month rental a holiday property is not a good place to start because the total cost is going to be much higher than opting for a conventional medium term let, most especially when the rental period covers peak season.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Casscat wrote:I find it highly unusual. If you are looking for a six month rental a holiday property is not a good place to start because the total cost is going to be much higher than opting for a conventional medium term let, most especially when the rental period covers peak season.
I have had numerous enquiries for 6 month or more lets over the years. I don't think people give it a thought, they just Google apartments in wherever, land on HL,HA or OD and away they go and expect you to be grateful for their business. 3 or 4 month winter lets are a different matter.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

....and if you do get a reply they tell you they found something similar nearby at a much cheaper rate.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
lorra62

Post by lorra62 »

Thanks for the replies, just wanted to get others opinions, although after sending the quote, I haven't heard from them yet anyway, so maybe I am worrying for nothing. :D