Not sure about this one?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
isplumm

Not sure about this one?

Post by isplumm »

Hi

So I have received a very late request for a booking - starting this weekend.

It sounds very dodgy!!

The xxxx is my replacement for his email address - he has also phoned me today.

Thoughts?

Thanks Mark

on 13/8/15 11:46 AM, K F <kxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> My wife and I are currently holidaying in the area and have decided to stay
> another week. Could you confirm if the Gite is available from this Sat 15th
> Aug to 22nd Aug ?
>
> Could you also confirm the cost.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Daniel Lundy
>
COYS

Post by COYS »

Am I missing something? Doesn't look suspicious to me.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Looks perfect to me unless the phone number or email address look dodgy - If I had free space I would be answering that PDQ with perhaps a discount offer if it were for me - Why do you suspect something?
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
isplumm

Post by isplumm »

COYS wrote:Am I missing something? Doesn't look suspicious to me.
Hi

Just worried that it might not be real - very late notice & our place is a 3 bed 2 shower room. There is only 2 of them as well.

Thanks Mark
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

But he phoned you too? Sounds perfectly genuine to me - I'd bite his hand off at the wrist if you have availability! :D
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

isplumm wrote:
COYS wrote:Am I missing something? Doesn't look suspicious to me.
Hi

Just worried that it might not be real - very late notice & our place is a 3 bed 2 shower room. There is only 2 of them as well.

Thanks Mark
I wouldn't be too alarmed about that. At such short notice his options are limited too and he may well be prepared to pay the price for a bed property just to secure somewhere quickly and easily.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Agree with the others - it doesn't immediately stink, and it's definitely worth following up. A scammer would be more likely to be asking for something further ahead - ie wouldn't have done the detail research to find that your property was available at such short notice. There's not enough time for most of the "classic" scams to work.
I'd proceed, but unless you can clear payment - bank transfer or cc if you take it - it would be cash or nothing. I'm uneasy about Paypal, which is the only scam I can think of that's not immediately obvious - ie have a nice holiday then instigate a chargeback.
My 2p worth.
Hope it works out, but follow your instinct.
isplumm

Booked!

Post by isplumm »

Hi Everyone ....

Well I have done the deed - dropped him an email / phoned him.

All booked - paying via Paypal - which having seen the post above worries me.

This is our first booking - which is why we are worried slightly!!

Thanks Mark
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I wouldn't be worried. Although I dislike Paypal, it has it's place in securing funds in this situation.

You can read and hear too much here, but remember we put the bad stories, not the good. The good guests far, far outweigh the problem ones. It sounds like they're having a lovely time and want to carry on. Makes perfect sense to enquire for anything that has availability in the area you want and to ring as well.

It should be fine. :)
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Oh, I'm sure it will be fine. Most first bookings are at fairly short notice. So in at the deep end....... Good luck. :D
isplumm

Post by isplumm »

Nemo wrote:I wouldn't be worried. Although I dislike Paypal, it has it's place in securing funds in this situation.

You can read and hear too much here, but remember we put the bad stories, not the good. The good guests far, far outweigh the problem ones. It sounds like they're having a lovely time and want to carry on. Makes perfect sense to enquire for anything that has availability in the area you want and to ring as well.

It should be fine. :)
Hi,

Indeed - I called him - he knew a lot about the area - is actually staying up the road & when I asked him about the village he was staying in, he knew all about it - so that put my mind at rest!

Thanks Mark
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Hi Mark - good news. I said I was uneasy about Paypal as the only remaining scam I could think of, but you're right to take the payment for this one! You've been in touch, he's for real, it's a good result. &#128077;
aussiefrog

Post by aussiefrog »

Hi Mark

Glad it has turned into a booking. I often get a couple taking a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom villa - and sometimes an even larger property - just for the two of them.

I don't think scammers 'phone, so you can be fairly confident if someone follows up with a phone call. Unless any LMHatters have had experience with a scam booking phone call??
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My sister had a scamming phone call (but got an email first), I've just had a call about 5 minutes ago which I am suspicious about. Claims to be unable to contact me through Homeaway, so I am just waiting for the follow-up email to confirm my suspicions.
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

HelenB wrote:My sister had a scamming phone call (but got an email first), I've just had a call about 5 minutes ago which I am suspicious about. Claims to be unable to contact me through Homeaway, so I am just waiting for the follow-up email to confirm my suspicions.
I had a phone call last week from someone who said he was unable to send an enquiry through OD - said the screen just kept freezing - and he followed up by email too. He paid by bank transfer a couple of days later and should be arriving on Sunday.