Scam warnings for guests

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Ben McNevis

Scam warnings for guests

Post by Ben McNevis »

A bit off-track perhaps, as it's not about scams directed at owners but those directed at renters.

For a few months, in replies to enquiries on one of our properties, I've included an extra paragraph on scam-avoidance. I've done this, aware that even mentioning the word "scam" might send guests running to booking.com, but hoping that they would take heed and become more savvy and resistant to the common scams aimed at renters of holiday properties.

The good news is that it doesn't seem to have put people off: I've had at least as good a conversion rate after as before.

But the advice needs to be longer and to cover more than just the most common type of scam. So, I thought I should do a blog page about it and suggest to folks that they read it.

So, this evening, I've been writing about holiday property scams and how to avoid them (a sort of antidote to the Daily Fail).

So far, I've got:
  • The hacked email account
    The cloned property
    The agent posing as owner (substitute property)
Does anyone know of other ways that guests can fall foul of scammers?
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

How's the blog and can you post a link perhaps. What do you say in your para to guest replies?
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Guests being asked to pay in full upfront for a booking way ahead, in return for a discount, instead of just asking for a deposit.
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

In my email reply to enquiries, I now finish with:

Also, while in holiday-booking mode, I suggest you have a look
at my scam-avoidance page: www.scottish-cottage.com/advice.html

And that link is my first attempt at the advice which is bound to change with time. Please plagiarise freely if you wish.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Bunny wrote:Guests being asked to pay in full upfront for a booking way ahead, in return for a discount, instead of just asking for a deposit.
Ben I think you should reword your comment on this as I had to re read yours to understand the concept, I think mentioning payment in full, up front with no deposit for a discount is a little clearer.

Otherwise I think that's a great article and will add a link to my website, thanks
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com