Binh Truong (3 adults 3 children)

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Gordo

Binh Truong (3 adults 3 children)

Post by Gordo »

Source: HomeAway via abritel.fr

Request in French, name used appears to be Vietnamese.

Original enquiry seemed fairly normal but second communication from them (response to our quote) used a different tone completely. Suggesting fear of being scammed and cash on arrival etc.

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Many French request that and I've turned down several people who wanted to change to their terms of paying cash on arrival Why does that make it a scam?
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

It's normal in France to only pay the deposit before arrival and the balance, including any damage/cleaning deposits by cash or cheque on arrival. It's likely your group haven't come across the British way of doing things and are a bit spooked. A few more enquiries down the line, they'll realise this, but chances are, someone else will benefit from their booking, not you. Perhaps you could reassure them by pointing them towards some other advertising, e.g. your website, tourist office listing of similar?
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

kevsboredagain wrote:Why does that make it a scam?
because the..
Gordo wrote:second communication from them (response to our quote) used a different tone completely

When I say "tone" I'm talking scam!, trust me it's not a misunderstanding.

Majority of my guests so far (only starting my second year) have been French and I too have had requests to pay cash but must admit I didn't think this was unique to the French (I've done it myself!).

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…