Looking to holiday in NY, which rental?

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Isy

Post by Isy »

@Pamski, thanks for reminding me about the High Line. I totally forgot about it. I watched a documentary about it on tv a couple of years ago and loved the concept. I put it on the list to do.
Thanks again!
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger !
Pamski

Post by Pamski »

Isy - do hope that you make it. Its like a quiet oasis and you can do as much or as little as you like.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

I'm also planning a NY trip right now. It's Mr V's 50th in May and he said he'd like to do NY. I'm planning for us to stay in a hotel and have been using a 'travel counsellor, yes 'counsellor'! to help me with the booking. She recommended three hotels and the Fitzpatrick Grand was one of them and is currently my top choice based on the great reviews and location Close the the Grand Central and Chrysler building.

I'm loving the tips so far, but I need some 'billy no mates' ideas for me to do (shopping opportunity!) as Mr V now has to attend a business dinner on our first night followed by an all day meeting, pure coincidence this has come up but it does mean he can claim his o/w flight and hotel for one night on expenses!
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Isy

Post by Isy »

@Pamski: Don't worry I put it at the top of things I want to do! Thanks again! Looks like the Fitzpatrick is a winner!

@Sam V, thanks a mil for the info. It looks like the Fitzpatrick Grand is the one. Can you plse share with us the other 2 hotels ? What a great idea to celebrate a 50th birthday in NY, it s brillant!

I am also on board for the "shopping opportunity" esp the "clothes and skincare sections": brands I can't get in Ireland where I shop twice a year.

A bit of googling and find this, what do you think?
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/shopping ... ops-in-nyc
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

The other two recommended were Wyndham New Yorker; this failed for me purely on location. We've stayed in the Wyndham in Chelsea Harbour twice, first for our 10th anniversary and then for a wedding and I'd stay again. On our second stay we found ourselves breakfasting with the Chealsea football team, shame I couldn't name one of them!

The other recommendation was The Sancurary in Times Square. The reason I've not chosen a TS location is on the recommendation of friends of ours who stayed in a hotel in TS and said they found it just too in your face exhausting stepping out and returning to such a busy area.

The Fitzpatrick TA reviews say enough to sway me; the service, facilities and comfort win it over its more classic style decor.

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

Isy

Post by Isy »

Sam V, I ll be looking into the Fitzpatrick today and thanks for the feedback on the other 2.
windrush

Post by windrush »

SoHo area is brilliant for shopping.
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

So! We fly to NY Tuesday morning, our trip really starts Thursday as hubs has a business meeting on Wednesday. We fly home Sunday evening. I'm now trying to decide which of the various passes to buy. I do like the idea of the hop on off tour bus. I'm so glad I read this, the Top of the Rock is now on my list, I now appreciate the advantage of a visit which isn't really explained in the list of attractions on the pass cards