Looks like a scam email to me

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
JulieR

Looks like a scam email to me

Post by JulieR »

Hello

I am having trouble logging in to the website.( ownerdirect/homeaway)
We have 2 adults and 1 children.
Would you please advise us on how to proceed?
If is possible can I pay you online with my VISA?
Also, before I make the payment I need a rental agreement to look at your rental conditions and terms.
Can you send me the link with your property to take a look at it?
Looking forward to your reply.

Best Wishes Alan
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

:? So if she can't log in to HA, how did she get your email address? If she has seen you previously and is looking at your own website and contacted you direct, why does she particularly need to log in to HA? The enquiry itself doesn't sound suspicious to me, but the reasons behind it are odd and confusing.
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

JulieR - thanks so much for posting this.

We have just received the exact same enquiry this afternoon and thought it was a scam (incorrect use of English, and the Outlook email address) now we know for sure!

Incoming email shows 'xxxxcottlexx@outlook.com' [email address changed by admin]

It has though pushed us into creating a rental agreement this afternoon, which is something that we had planned to do for a long time. So, thanks 'Alan' for that!
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

Bunny wrote::? So if she can't log in to HA, how did she get your email address? If she has seen you previously and is looking at your own website and contacted you direct, why does she particularly need to log in to HA? The enquiry itself doesn't sound suspicious to me, but the reasons behind it are odd and confusing.

Bunny, we thought the same thing...
JulieR

Post by JulieR »

Yes just sounds odd, poor English and no dates! It came from

xxxxcottlexx@outlook.com [address changed by admin]
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Paolo wrote in previous thread:

"1. It is quite normal that your home address is required in order to send you a bank transfer. It happens regularly from the USA too.
2. If you are posting about a POSSIBLE scam enquiry, DON'T post real names, emails or Skype addresses.
3. If you have done so in error or think a thread should be moved to Members Only, don't post about that, send me a PM.
4. Only post contact details for a 100% confirmed scam."

I really do think we should abide by his rules. After all it will be he who takes the snash if somebody objects to their name being published in our SCAM section.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Probably dodgy but not all such requests are scams.

Last week I had almost exactly the same question from a genuine enquirer. They could not get the payment on HA to work and wanted to know what to do in order to pay direct via my website. It was 100% genuine and they booked.

I've yet to communicate to a non scammer who uses outlook.com :lol:
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

costa-brava wrote:Paolo wrote in previous thread:

"1. It is quite normal that your home address is required in order to send you a bank transfer. It happens regularly from the USA too.
2. If you are posting about a POSSIBLE scam enquiry, DON'T post real names, emails or Skype addresses.
3. If you have done so in error or think a thread should be moved to Members Only, don't post about that, send me a PM.

I really do think we should abide by his rules. After all it will be he who takes the snash if somebody objects to their name being published in our SCAM section.
But JulieR has abided by the rules. Surely it's been proven a scam and she did not publish the email address until AngloDutch confirmed she had the same email but with one digit difference. If it's not a scam I'll eat my hat!
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

I think a "proven" scam is where the originating website investigates and accepts it is a scam.
I think another reasonable case is if one of us really has been scammed, as in losing money.
Two people thinking an email is dodgy doesn't justify publishing somebody's email address in an open site.
We all hate scammers but we all love LMH and we should not leave LMH open to any possible legal claim even if it is a real scammer.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

costa-brava wrote:
Two people thinking an email is dodgy doesn't justify publishing somebody's email address in an open site.
However, I think if two people get the same peculiar enquiry, from virtually the same email address, and within a very short time of each other, that's almost certainly a scam.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
Little Villa

same wording exactly

Post by Little Villa »

Yesterday I received 3 emails (2 from same name, which was in my spam folder and 1 from another name, which arrived in my inbox) with IDENTICAL wording. No dates.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Cassis wrote: However, I think if two people get the same peculiar enquiry, from virtually the same email address, and within a very short time of each other, that's almost certainly a scam.
Most likely.

How do you know if the email address is real or fake? I could sent emails from your email address to many people but does that make you a scammer?
Little Villa

Another one!

Post by Little Villa »

Just checked my spam folder and there's another one! Identical to OPs wording. So that's 4 of them I've had in 24 hours. :roll:
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

costa-brava wrote:Paolo wrote in previous thread:

I was not aware of Paolo's post, so will refrain from mentioning the incoming email address in future postings. I just thought it would further help people to be on their guard for these particular emails which several members seem to have received today. I'm sure that any reply to this 'enquiry' would have resulted in receiving a further email with an attachment...
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I think you are right AngloDutch and your post confirmed the scam for me. I think Paolo is saying it is OK to publish the email address so long you substitute 1 letter for example, if it is not 100% confirmed. I'd say this one is 99.9% confirmed IMO.