Looks like a scam email to me

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Bunny wrote:I think you are right AngloDutch and your post confirmed the scam for me. I think Paolo is saying it is OK to publish the email address so long you substitute 1 letter for example, if it is not 100% confirmed. I'd say this one is 99.9% confirmed IMO.
So if someone faked your email and pretended it came from yourself (as many scammers do), you would be perfectly happy for your email address to be published as the source of a scam?
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

kevsboredagain wrote:
Bunny wrote:I think you are right AngloDutch and your post confirmed the scam for me. I think Paolo is saying it is OK to publish the email address so long you substitute 1 letter for example, if it is not 100% confirmed. I'd say this one is 99.9% confirmed IMO.
So if someone faked your email and pretended it came from yourself (as many scammers do), you would be perfectly happy for your email address to be published as the source of a scam?
Like I said, change the address slightly, but if email addresses are not unique because they can be recreated/faked so easily, then it doesn't necessarily mean an address is really me. Similarly, my name is all over the internet, but it doesn't mean everything attributed to it is actually me, because there are lots of people of the same name. Does that mean someone of the same name is a fraud and pretending to be me? :?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Bunny wrote:
kevsboredagain wrote:
Like I said, change the address slightly, but if email addresses are not unique because they can be recreated/faked so easily, then it doesn't necessarily mean an address is really me. Similarly, my name is all over the internet, but it doesn't mean everything attributed to it is actually me, because there are lots of people of the same name. Does that mean someone of the same name is a fraud and pretending to be me? :?
An email address is 100% unique. There can never be 2 the same on the internet. Therefore if someone fakes your email identity then most people would naturally assume the email came from owner of that email address. Depending who it was, this could cause a lot of stress or damage to that person either just emotionally or even financially.

I've had my email address faked and it caused a lot of grief, ending in having to abandon the account and start again because I had been blacklisted.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

If someone was faking my email address I'd want to know about it, even if I only became aware because it was posted as a scam address on a public forum.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Casscat wrote:If someone was faking my email address I'd want to know about it, even if I only became aware because it was posted as a scam address on a public forum.
Good point Casscat. So how does one know if their email address has been used as a fake under normal circumstances?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Bunny wrote:
Casscat wrote:If someone was faking my email address I'd want to know about it, even if I only became aware because it was posted as a scam address on a public forum.
Good point Casscat. So how does one know if their email address has been used as a fake under normal circumstances?
Most bizarre logic. It's the public posting or false reporting of the details which will cause harm to the victim but at least they will be able to find it themselves eventually, even although they can do nothing whatsoever about it.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Bunny, can you please try something. Open google.co.uk and enter the name of Al----- Cot----- (obviously I have not given the full name)
Take a look at the number of people with this name and how it might affect them if they were even a little bit associated with a scam.
Then try googling my name. I am Scottish and my name is Robert Black. So google my name + Scotland. I think you might be shocked at the first few results.
It is a sensitive issue. Imagine that a friend of AC googles his name and finds him in a debate about scamming.
Even if you change one or two letters you are then running the risk of blackballing another different person.
It's what they call a no brainer. We can't decide by ourselves that somebody's email can be published because we think we're being scammed.