z

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Some online banking systems won't let you make a transfer without giving some kind of address. That address can even be the bank address. Mine here in Switzerland is like that.

Whether it's a scam or not I've no idea but you can only put money into an account using the information asked for.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Maybe he assumes you are renting out your home.
So when he asks for your home address, he actually means the address of the property he's renting?
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

+1 Kev

To make a transfer from my Spanish account, I have to give the recipient's address. Seems unlikely to be a scam.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
joddle

Post by joddle »

Well the skype address exists and his name checks out BUT it does not seem right to me either. No mention of how many in the family and no mention of the price or length of stay in original e-mail so how did you quote?
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Casa Montana

Re: possible scam email

Post by Casa Montana »

joddle wrote:Well the skype address exists and his name checks out BUT it does not seem right to me either. No mention of how many in the family and no mention of the price or length of stay in original e-mail so how did you quote?
Hi Joddle,

Sorry didn't perhaps make my earlier post clearer. In original OD email dates and guests no's were specified.

Thanks for all replies so far 😄

It'll probably turn out that it's completely genuine and I'm just being over zealous

Cheers

Carl
OrangeBlossom

Post by OrangeBlossom »

CM, I think you are right to be suspicious. It is true that sometimes an address is required; only today I tried to refund a deposit to a client who came from Australia and my UK bank refused to do it without her address. HOWEVER,
I've received two or three queries re my OD posting for my apartment in the Algarve from customers with English sounding names where I was ulitimately asked for my personal address in order for them to send a bank transfer and I was suspicious. In the first case I gave them my work address and they never got back to me to proceed with the booking but then I got another enquiry for exactly the same dates with the same text but a different name.
When the details of their names came through when it got to transfer stage they gave a double-barelled name with a Ukarainian cum English name. Later I received a similar enquiry from another name and the same scenario and request about sending a transfer from a Ukranian bank. To be honest, I didn't even think about identity theft, I was expecting them to ask me if they could transfer more money and have me refund the difference, i.e money laundering but when I notified OD they weren't interested. After the first time I just declined the booking.
Casa Montana

Possible scam email

Post by Casa Montana »

Hi all,

Just an update on this thread.

Offered the renter to pay via PayPal & he didn't want that option as he's been scammed before via PayPal.

I then actually had a skype conversation with potential renter in Dubai. Seemed a pretty decent chap (if you can suss out someone's decent over a skype call :-)

He explained that bank over there need beneficiarys address or bank address.

Supplied him with IBAN no + bank address.

Reply received saying he needs my home address + telephone number??

I don't know what he could do with this info but alarm bells are still ringing in my head for some strange reason. Anything he could do with this info??

Thinking about offering him to pay via credit card through OD.

Seems also strange to me that the process is taking so long. If that was me and I was booking a place I would be getting a bit peeved that the owner was being a tad difficult perhaps at accepting my deposit.

Thoughts??

Thanks

Carl
Casa Montana
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

On one hand it's perfectly reasonable for someone renting your place to know your address and telephone number but this would be the rental property address. For a bank transfer, this would normally be enough. I get away using just the postcode and town.

On the other hand it would be simple for the guest to prove exactly where this is required, either with a screenshot from online banking or a copy of a document.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Is this him?

Last edited by Cassis on Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
Casa Montana

Possible scam

Post by Casa Montana »

Hi Cassis,

Yes this is the potential client.

Cheers

Carl
Casa Montana
Casa Montana

Poss scam email

Post by Casa Montana »

Hi all,

I think upon reflection and looking at his Linkedin profile i may have been a bit too cautious perhaps.

Will give it some more thought and more than likely send him requested info.

Cheers for all comments

Carl
Casa Montana :-)
Casa Montana

Post by Casa Montana »

Hi all,

How do I move this post to the members only section?

Thanks

Carl
Casa Montana
Casa Montana

Post by Casa Montana »

Hi all,

How do I move this post to the members only section?

Thanks

Carl
Casa Montana
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

I don't think you can, Carl.

This next bit isn't for you - just a general observation.

This section of the forum should not be visible to anyone other than members

When a member opens a topic here they don't always know whether the person they are talking about is a genuine guest or a scam - if it turns out they are genuine, the guest could get touchy about being discussed here - even when the information posted is in the public domain.

I posted a screen shot and link to LinkedIn for the guest in question earlier in this thread, but once Carl had confirmed it was the same person I edited the post to remove the person's details. Even though it was public information, Bunny suggested to me that the guest might not like it, and I agree.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
Casa Montana

Poss scam email

Post by Casa Montana »

Hi Cassis,

Thanks for your reply.

Like what you were saying I wouldn't like the potential guest see what has been discussed on here. However if I just type in Dr xxxxxxxxxx Dubai in to google - It comes up with the thread. Perhaps it's because my iPads are remembering it on the history maybe??

Anyway I've since asked for a copy of the bank docs to verify exactly what their requirements are -

[Hi,

I thought from our Skype conversation that the bank address and the Iban would be sufficient??

Would you mind sending me a copy of the bank document to verify what information they exactly require??

Failing that, perhaps it maybe easier for you to pay via credit card through the OD website?

Your dates are still reserved so no problems there. Sorry for any hold ups.

Thanks

Carl]

To get this response -

[Hi Carl

I am travelling today. The bank needs a beneficiary address in addition to the bank address (which is what the Ivan does).

So your address please.

Thanks

]]

Am I being too over cautious here or what?? I keep on having doubts and then I say to myself "oh just email him back the info it will be fine" 😀

Don't wanna lose out on the 2 week booking either.

Cheers

Carl
Casa Montana