Photos - watermark?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Mouse

Photos - watermark?

Post by Mouse »

Can someone please point me in the right direction to how I can either watermark or write my website on my photos.

Apologies for this very basic request! I have no idea how to go about it :oops:

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

It will depend on what software you use to edit your images. If you have none, then you could do it online. Google "online photo editor" and you'll find things like

https://pixlr.com/editor/ which would do the job. This one even does layers so you can edit move your text around before merging and saving.

You only need s simply editor to be able to add text on an image so there may even be some free ones out there people could recommend. I know of Gimp and have to use it at work but it's not the most user friendly.

BTW Not many listing websites notice watermarked images :twisted:
tavi

Post by tavi »

What about the Paint or Microsoft photo manager programme if you have one in your computer?

My kids showed me how to do it....haha.

Here's a very technical explanation (lol)....you go to a photo in your docs file, you right-click on it and open it in the Paint or photo manager programme. You can then paint, draw, or type text over the photo and then save it back to your photo files.
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

If you just want an easy way to do a few pics you could use one of these...

http://www.umarkonline.com/
http://www166.lunapic.com/editor/
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Jim
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Thanks everyone! You're stars!
BTW Not many listing websites notice watermarked images
Kev you read my mind! I'm planning ahead for the OD changes which are bound to come.

I also managed to get a photo accepted that was a shot of a message left on our kitchen blackboard from guests saying they'd had a fab time. It also had the check in details for our Facebook page :D
Sadly I've now changed the name of the page but it has given me an idea to recent it with the correct one (although it's a slight cheat as it will written by me :oops: )

Mousie
x
CSE

Post by CSE »

We list on booking where no mention or link to website is permitted. We wanted to protect and know where photos were begin copied from So added Casa Santo Estevo at Booking.com on each one. This was acceptable. Thank goodness because of the amount of partners Booking has we now know where our photos end up.
Look at this lot! http://bit.ly/1oaMuJG
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

That is a good idea. I suppose they could twig eventually...or maybe not as the resource needed to approve every photo must be immense.

Mouse
x
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Mouse wrote:Thanks everyone! You're stars!
BTW Not many listing websites notice watermarked images
Kev you read my mind! I'm planning ahead for the OD changes which are bound to come.

I also managed to get a photo accepted that was a shot of a message left on our kitchen blackboard from guests saying they'd had a fab time. It also had the check in details for our Facebook page :D
Sadly I've now changed the name of the page but it has given me an idea to recent it with the correct one (although it's a slight cheat as it will written by me :oops: )

Mousie x
I have added a watermark of my website to the lead photos on the listing sites I use (there are several now). The exception was OD which would not accept the photo. This was nothing to do with the watermark itself, but by watermarking a once megapixel image the pixel count was so reduced that it did not reach the minimum pixel threshold required by OD. The watermarking seemed to swallow up pixels - don't ask me why. I used Fotosizer ( http://www.fotosizer.com/ ).

Now off to buy a kitchen blackboard :D
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

AndrewH wrote:watermarking seemed to swallow up pixels - don't ask me why. I used Fotosizer ( http://www.fotosizer.com/ )
Why??? :P

It must be the size being used to save the file as after editing. There's no reason whatsoever that watermarking would affect a picture size, apart from adding a bit of detail, which would increase the file size slightly.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Why indeed! But there it is Kevin, 2.77 MB before watermarking and 897 KB when watermarked. Actually, I can't see any difference in the picture quality and they have exactly the same dimensions and show up as exactly the same picture size on my computer screen. I am not losing sleep over it, mind.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

AndrewH wrote:Why indeed! But there it is Kevin, 2.77 MB before watermarking and 897 KB when watermarked. Actually, I can't see any difference in the picture quality and they have exactly the same dimensions and show up as exactly the same picture size on my computer screen. I am not losing sleep over it, mind.
Compression factor. This is normally selectable somewhere when you save formats such as jpeg. Your editor is probably set to save using a factor which is good for most purposes but you are starting with high quality images with little compression.