Castro Massaky

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Lamaisonsanssoucis

Castro Massaky

Post by Lamaisonsanssoucis »

I received this following an initial enquiry and follow up mail.
Bonjour ,

Je viens de lire votre message et vous remercie pour votre réponse. J'accepte votre proposition. Mon époux et moi, avions décidé de passer les vacances annuelles en France. Mon bureau sera chargé de régler la totalité du coût de la location et cela
avant notre arrivée en France. Je suis consultante en communication.
Vu que votre location se trouve en France, le paiement se fera directement sur votre compte bancaire car toute la transaction se passera en France. Le versement sera réalisé à partir d'une banque française.
Je vous transmets en pièce-jointe une copie de mon passeport et quelques informations supplémentaires.

Adresse personnelle : PO Box 2273 DK-1015 Copenhagen K Denmark
Tel: +45 33 48 55 76

Veuillez me transmettre par mail le contrat de location et vos coordonnées bancaires pour la transaction.
En attente de vous lire

Merci

The passport was attached but I didn't like the look of the message so my response was:

Thank you for your confirmation that you would like to proceed with this booking. Unfortunately we are unable to accept payments direct to our account. All payments must be made via this website, both for your security and ours.To confirm your reservation, click the button, review and agree to the rental agreement, and make a secure payment through HomeAway.
Thankyou

No response as yet, so I am guessing scam!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Has the definite whiff of scam about it :D And welcome to the forum :)
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

It does sound a bit odd, but providing your RIB and Iban is perfectly safe for bank transfers... they can't clear out your account with this info
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

The 'my company will be paying for this' message always gets my scam-o-meter twitching, as does attaching a passport without being asked for one. The passport is an attachment and one which should not be opened.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Casscat wrote:The 'my company will be paying for this' message always gets my scam-o-meter twitching, as does attaching a passport without being asked for one. The passport is an attachment and one which should not be opened.
Yes, sorry, definitely agree, even if it didn't sound like that in my response
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

I had something similar the other week written in good English but with a passport/I'd card photo attached and PDF of all their details.

Without opening the anything I replied that I was aware that scammers often send these attachments so I would not be opening them, but if she was genuinely wanting to make a booking to request my online booking form to proceed.

I heard nothing back and another suspicion was that on close inspection the ID had the word 'specimen' printed on it!
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Maisy

Post by Maisy »

Hello, I received an enquiry two days ago from this person....I must confess the word 'scam' didn't cross my mind at all....I also sent my booking form with bank information for payment....this evening I received the same reply....'My company will pay you more then you refund the difference....'. I can't believe that I fell for this.....I always think I can spot something odd at a 1000 paces.....missed this one completly.. :oops: The first thing I did was to look on LMH and as always you had the answer!!! I dont think I will bother to reply.....