What does en suite mean?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Joffan

What does en suite mean?

Post by Joffan »

I have a villa that has 3 bathrooms.
One bathroom is a shared family bathroom
The second is attached to a bedroom and has WC, shower, basin etc.
The third is attached to a bedroom and has a roll top bath, shower, twin basins but no WC. Is it an en suite?

Julie
petemcveigh

Post by petemcveigh »

Julie, I would be very hesitant about describing it as an en suite without specifying that there is no w.c. Whilst in pure linguistic terms it may be correct, the common expectation of an en suite is that a toilet is part of it.

It's about setting/ managing the guests expectations. If they arrive expecting a full en suite then there is a (albeit hopefully slight) disappointment factor. There is an old sales adage, something like under-promise and over-deliver. It can be a difficult balance - talking up what you have to get the sale but underplaying slightly to allow a bit of 'wow - this is better than I expected' room on arrival!
" Do I really look like a guy with a plan?"
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

If I was offered an 'en suite' I would expect to be completely self-contained toilet wise. That is to say, the en suite would have a WC.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Is there scope to add a loo?
Essar

Post by Essar »

Just decribe it as a "Partiel en-suite (no WC)"
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Joffan

Post by Joffan »

My problem is the house is not mine, I just manage it and I knew it had 4 toilets and made the assumption that each en suite had a toilet, a toilet in the family bathroom and a separate WC on the first floor.

Voila 4 toilets.

But the 4th toilet is on the second floor

So I advertised it as 2 en suites, 1 family bathroom and 1 separate toilet. The guests are livid that there is no toilet in the second en suite.

I need to offer compensation I guess
Joffan

Post by Joffan »

Partial en suite is good
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Difficult situation. An ensuite needs a loo. A loo with a basin and no shower is prized more highly than a bathroom with everything but a loo.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

Being crude, if I was told there was an ensuite, or partial ensuite and there was just a sink, I might be inclined to wee in it.
Joffan

Post by Joffan »

I have added information to all the websites and stated clearly the bedroom is en suite (no wc).

Would you still wee in it Edinburgh?
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

Not if it said no WC.

I wouldn't really wee in it! But it wouldn't surprise me if some people did with a sink in or off the bedroom. In fact, I know people who definitely would, rather than go to the main bathroom.