Booking? or attempt to hack my email?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Kirigiwi

Booking? or attempt to hack my email?

Post by Kirigiwi »

Actually I know the answer to that, but thought I'd give people the heads up.

I received an email to my personal gmail account, I use it with the major booking sites but as far as I know it's not publicly visible anywhere, so I don't know where they found it.

Anyway, usual vague and poorly worded enquiry with no dates so I was already suspicious. There was an attachment supposed to be a docx with guest details. When I clicked to download it took me to another page, identical to the gmail login page but not gmail as I could see from the address bar, to enter my gmail password. Err, don't think so!

It seems what looked like a normal gmail attachment was just a linked gif, please be careful people!
EdinburghCityApartments

Post by EdinburghCityApartments »

Think some scammers are getting quite clever.

I received an email from a holiday let advertising agent in Edinburgh who I know had recently taken over the business. Email was something like "Here's a special offer for additional properties" - something very convincing but with a supposed Google doc attachment to open to view the offer.

I clicked the link but then hesitated and replied to the business asking for it in pdf. They had no idea what it was and hadn't sent it at all.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Never, ever, ever click on any of those attachments. You were lucky this time and it was only a trick to take you to a fake login screen. What if the attachment had been one that locks your hard drive and demands payment for unlocking?
russellt

Post by russellt »

kevsboredagain wrote:Never, ever, ever click on any of those attachments. You were lucky this time and it was only a trick to take you to a fake login screen. What if the attachment had been one that locks your hard drive and demands payment for unlocking?
+1
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
Kirigiwi

Post by Kirigiwi »

Well I was clicking the download icon, after which I was going to scan with an anti virus. But point taken, I am not doing that again!