High season weeks requested by family/friends?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

russellt wrote: You can't help but infer from a 'friend's' poor treatment of your property what respect they have for you.
Nail on head, russelt. That was the bit that hurt so much.

And as to 'mates rates': if my 'mate' owned a shop, would I expect to be able to buy there at a discount? No, I wouldn't. So why should holiday accommodation be any different?
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

All my friends and relations know better than to ask me to stay during peak season. I make it clear I can only do 10% discount during busy periods, but they are more than welcome out of season if they want to cover laundry, cleaning and some of the running costs.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

My children and parents get to stay free although they're banned from July and August!

For friends it depends. I'll say no to peak weeks but in the dead season they are welcome for the cost of cleaning and utilities.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

True friends/family would never expect a free peak season week as they understand it is your sole source of income. We give discounts to family/friends for off season weeks - the more off-season, the more generous the discount.
Last edited by Sunbeam on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We've had no friends ask to stay, and pretty sure they wouldn't want it free. Perhaps we made a good decision in staying small.
My sister and family have stayed twice. Paid both times at a small discount, it was school holidays, and as my manager was away they didn't get the full service from her. My parents have visited with me and they stayed for free, but gave us money for bills, helped with the food and cooking,and paid for a couple of meals out etc. It was a bit like being a Saga Holidays rep for two weeks, but they enjoyed it.
Jemima Copping

Post by Jemima Copping »

I don't mind having close family staying during off peak, for no charge and I have explained this to them, but they have to make a firm date for their stay. I almost fell out with my son who in January wanted to come in May but wouldn't set a date for it. Doesn't want to stay in our house too cramped he says. January is when we get a lot of bookings, so I refused to block off a couple of weeks just so he could make up his mind at a later date. My daughter who lives in Mexico also wanted to come with our grandson, but in July or August, doesn't want to stay in our house which has only 2 bedrooms, couldn't give me a firm date, said she was willing to pay, made us feel mean. Both of them have a lot more money than us, we depend on our cottage as our pensions are tiny state ones, finally they got the message. My brother who comes in February with his wife and daughter, always pays the heating and this year left a voucher for a local restaurant as well.
Lets see what next year will bring!
Better to be mutton dressed as lamb than mutton dressed as mutton!
louloup

Post by louloup »

I 'lost' a friend who had been sending messages about coming for a couple of years, insisting on paying because she knew we relied on the income (they are quite wealthy). Whole family came for a week in July, expected to be waited on hand & foot, meals provided, therapy too ( a bit of acting out around the dining table) childcare, transport, you get the picture. Bought some expensive souvenirs for themselves. Then left!
Seemed to have a had a great time, couldn't wait to do it again, but might just send son over for the Summer this year.
There was lots more but you get the idea.
I should have been more assertive about payment & expectations, we wrongly assumed that they would pay without prompting.
I realised that it wasn't a friendship and the ending of it was a hue relief. The subsequent protests made it clear that they had no idea how much they had cost us, both financially and in terms of stress & exhaustion. It was also clear that we had ruined their childcare plans for the Summer (said child being shall we say ' a bit of a handful')
One of the reasons it happened was because we do love seeing our friends and family and all our other visitors since we moved to France have been a delight. We have had some great times, shared meals etc and it is generally something we look forward to.
Hard lesson learned!
Jemima Copping

Post by Jemima Copping »

You have my sympathy Louloup, as the saying goes-'with friends like that who needs enemies'.
Better to be mutton dressed as lamb than mutton dressed as mutton!
Lets Go To Puglia

Post by Lets Go To Puglia »

e-richard wrote:"Dear soon-to-be-ex friend,

We'd be very happy to welcome you for those [peak] weeks. Our price is £fullprice.

We cover all our running costs from the rentals we receive in peak weeks. so we'd be thrilled if you wanted to use the property outside the main season at [preferential rates or zero or whatever is appropriate] "
+1
Ciao, Debbie

Puglia Holiday Villas Facebook Page
---------------------
It's not the things you did you look back on and regret it's the things you didn't do!
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

Typically i find family / friends try and book too late for peak weeks which givevs me the opportunity to explain when we typically book up by and gives me an opportunity to offer them alternatives.

If they do manage to ask / book in time a token discount with a frank conversation around the commercials / running costs of it all usually leads to a sensible outcome for all concerned.