It's all gone quiet over there.....

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Sue Dyer

It's all gone quiet over there.....

Post by Sue Dyer »

Where is everyone??!!! Maybe too busy the weekend before Christmas to be involved in the forum! :)

I'm one of those annoyingly organised people who finished my Christmas shopping in October so I'm now sitting back relaxing laughing :lol: at everyone rushing around the shops stressed out. Off to see Polar Express (Tom Hanks :D ) later, anyone seen it?
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

I know the feeling. I've missed the little email reminders from Paolo about a topic you're watching ... and was starting to wonder whether it was a sign of a new addiction. Anyway, I've just managed 4 days without "Lay my hat", but I'm glad to be back!

Happy Christmas everyone!

Christine

PS: Can't believe you're going to see another Tom Hanks movie. Glad to say I've overcome my Hugh Grant problem :oops:
paolo

Post by paolo »

Christmas seems to have come early this year, I am spending long periods away from my desk and in the real world. I think the rentals business has also gone into hibernation until January - no enquiries for about a week.

Get ready for a new intake of members when the next newsletter goes out in early January!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Can't believe you're going to see another Tom Hanks movie
Well, he took a lot of forgiving for the dogs dinner "Ladykillers" but I really like animations and Polar Express looks like a nice feelgood Christmas movie. We didn't actually make it today but are seeing it over the Christmas.

It has gone quiet with the rental business but I did manage to shift a weekend in January the other day - this is especially great as I'm in Liverpool that weekend seeing a gig by my friend Bob. We had decided to take the cottage off rental until March so we could get some use out of it but that rental has paid for our Liverpool hotel so has worked out fine!! :) I expect things will pick up after New Year when everyone heads back to work, feels really flat and needs something to look forward too. I know that's when I start looking around for holiday plans. Mine definitely includes L.A next year, haven't seen our friends for 3 years :( so a visit is well overdue.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Sue,

Did you see that animation about the Tour de France cyclists who are kidnapped and shipped to America? That was extraordinary, can't remember the name though. I think it won an Oscar, or was nominated at least.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

No, I didn't see that.
I'm less cultured - this year I enjoyed Shrek II!!. I love the bit where the donkey say's "over there, just past the bush that looks like Shirley Bassey".... I think that's about my level. :) Puss in Boots is sooooo cool!
Maggiem

Post by Maggiem »

paolo wrote:
Did you see that animation about the Tour de France cyclists who are kidnapped and shipped to America? That was extraordinary, can't remember the name though. I think it won an Oscar, or was nominated at least.
The film was called 'Belleville Rendezvous' - wasn't it good? Although the characters were obviously caricatures, we found it easy to 'recognise' people we knew! It was nominated for an Oscar but, sadly, didn't win. It was on TV last Christmas as well so, I suppose, may turn up again. Well worth setting the video for.
Maggie
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

Yes, all things seem to have slowed down with the 'run up' to christmas ... have to say, the shops don't seem as busy this year, even with the 'pre christmas sales'.

Our christmas came early though .... we've finally got a buyer for the house here in UK, no chain too so looks like we'll be in Italy in the next couple of months (touch wood!)

Speaking of films ...... no one has mentioned 'Phantom of the Opera' ..... i could kick myself for never seeing it at a theatre .... fantastic! (can't wait to see Shrek II though :) )
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

Speaking of films ...... no one has mentioned 'Phantom of the Opera' ..... i could kick myself for never seeing it at a theatre .... fantastic! (can't wait to see Shrek II though )
Tony, you beat me to it! I saw "Phantom" last night and thought it was excellent - much better than the theatre production which I thought was a bit over rated!
paolo

Post by paolo »

Tony,

So you soon will be 'livinginitaly'. I'll be interested to hear how you get on when you move out there. My best friends are planning to follow in your footsteps in the next year, so I'll be directing them to your site.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Bravo, Antonio! I lived in Rome for 3 years - if you experience any cultural shock let us know. Maybe I can draw on my experience to give un pezzetto of advice (good news:the shock will be less in the north......) .
Best,
Alexia
ps one piece of advice - try the white truffles, grated over pasta, at Christmas time! The black truffles in our part of Provence are a draw for some of our visitors but the white ones in Italy are incomparable.
A.
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

Thank you alexia :)

We have been planning this for nearly 18 months and had hoped to be there to enjoy the christmas festivities, but one more christmas in britain won't be so bad now.

We're looking at the 'usual suspects' .... tuscany, umbria, marche .... and as far as i'm concerned the more different from life in the UK, the better (my partner will still need clothes shops of course!) That said, the opportunity to benefit from your experience is most welcome, thanks for the offer :)

As far as your 'menu selection' goes ...... i'm almost too ashamed to say that i've never experienced truffle grated over anything ......... i've so much to learn.

Paolo .... rest assured that i will be detailing our 'adventures' with honesty and probably more than a little embarrassment!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Alexia,

I am not trying to generate an argument, just expressing a personal opinion.
The black truffles in our part of Provence are a draw for some of our visitors but the white ones in Italy are incomparable.
By far the finest black truffles come from Perigord and Quercy. From anywhere else, including Provence, they are not quite so good. White truffles from anywhere including Italy tend to be rather insipid by comparison.

White truffles are at their best shaved, raw, over a hot preparation – pasta, risotto, scrambled eggs or sautéed chicken – at the moment of serving. A decoration, which also imparts a wonderful flavour.

On the other hand, black truffles need to be treated with more respect – macerated, marinated, steeped, sweated or left in contact with other ingredients. Rarely should they ever be used raw and never as a decoration.

The comparison is - white truffles are the Fiat’s and black truffles are the Ferrari’s.

I wish you a very Merry Christmas, eating your pasta with white truffles grated over the top. I am having roast goose (with or without truffles) and all the trimmings.

Alan
Fraise

Yummy

Post by Fraise »

:D Coo-all this is making me drool-we're having turkey,quite a bit smaller than the ones we're used to in the UK tho. but think we can get used to that!!
Congrats on selling your house Tony!!! :P
Merry Christmas everyone :lol: x
paolo

Post by paolo »

Perhaps I AM trying to generate an argument but how about this culinary controversy: truffles are vastly over-rated and if they cost the same as mushrooms nobody would eat them.

When I tell my father this he says this merely confirms his suspicion that I am an ignorant savage.
Paolo
Lay My Hat