Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

When guests have to leave in a hurry.

Managing your guests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joddle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: When guests have to leave in a hurry. Reply with quote

In my T&Cs I advise people they should consider taking out travel insurance in case of problems en route, sickness and issues of availability beyond the control of the owners but I never actually then ask if they have heeded that.

Recently I had a booking for over 3 weeks but after just one week, due to the critical medical condition of a close relative at home, the guests had to leave. A very sad situation and one in which the relative died very soon after they had returned.

They did not actually ask for any form of refund but I could tell in the tone of the voice they had hopes of something and indeed I did feel sorry for them. Later by email I suggested they examine their insurance to see if they could get anything back. I also said I would try my hardest to re-let the property in the hope I might be able to then offer something.

A little later I did in fact get a response to my ad for a "bargain offer" and one which covered one of the weeks they were vacating and also for a week after they would have left. This meant I would in fact get paid twice for just one of the weeks and so felt I could offer that money back to the people which is in fact what I did.

The guests had said already they wish to return sometime but of course things are still a bit raw for them to make a decision regarding exactly when. If they wished to come during our quieter season then I am prepared to offer them a discount as they are in fact returnng guests and that is my normal policy. anyway.

This time I was caught on the hop as I have never had an occasion like this so had no idea how I would respond and although I feel I did the right thing, several people have suggested I am "too soft" and should have done nothing and simply kept the money as "its not my fault they had a problem" and that "they should have ensured they had insurance to cover such things" - and maybe that's true - but what do others think? or what would you have done?
Cymraes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My policy is to refund if I can re-let the week so I'd have done the same.
Mouse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I would have done the same too, it is hard...especially with illness. We're all human after all but basically I try and think logically. If I'm unlikely to see them back then it is like putting my money in to a strangers pocket.

I also put myself in their position and see if I would expect what they do. I rarely do.

I think you acted decently.

Mouse
x
French Cricket

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have done the same too, Joddle. I think we have a moral, if not a legal responsibility to try and mitigate our losses from a cancellation or curtailment, but equally not to profit from somebody's misfortune. So I'm with you.
Joanna

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
zebedee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+2
joddle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its most heartening to read those responses - and that make me feel a lot happier. I also had to cancel a holiday once in Germany due to a serious issue but got no sympathy from the owner who did (as I later found out) rent the place again for the entire period but no thought of a return to me! I think I would rather think of myself as the same as the people who have responded here and I very much appreciate all the comments made.
Dusty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also would have done exactly the same as you joddle, in fact I would probably have offered to refund the additional money or offer it to them as reduction on a future holiday. That way the have something to look forward to after their traumatic time, they feel less guilty about taking a holiday and you still retain the money.
joddle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty wrote:
I also would have done exactly the same as you joddle, in fact I would probably have offered to refund the additional money or offer it to them as reduction on a future holiday. That way the have something to look forward to after their traumatic time, they feel less guilty about taking a holiday and you still retain the money.

That's almost exactly what I intend to do - they have already said they will be coming back and I had already offered to pay them the week back or allow them to put it towards another holiday (they opted for the cash so I sent it). When they decide on some dates I will offer be able to offer them a pretty good discount over and above a normal returning visitor rate but until I know when that will be its hard to say exactly what I can afford to offer.
aasta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto...we also recently experienced a similar situation and were able to refund most of the guests payment by re-booking...that guests insurance was not adequate... so we have now put in our T&C a rather wordy explanation as to why and what kind of travel insurance is strongly recommended
Jemima Copping

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had guests cancel last year after paying balance, because of a cancer diagnosis. They had insurance and got their money back, and I managed to relet, but I offered them a free week nonetheless at a later date. So far I haven't heard anything so I imagine the outcome for them wasn't good. I think you have to treat people as you would like to be treated yourself, even though you are running a business.
Lets Go To Puglia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cymraes wrote:
My policy is to refund if I can re-let the week so I'd have done the same.

+1

Puglia Holiday Villas Facebook Page
---------------------
It's not the things you did you look back on and regret it's the things you didn't do!
Managing your guests