Scam through OD - Nori Cox

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
rosebud

Scam through OD - Nori Cox

Post by rosebud »

The name given was Nori Cox
She claimed she could only pay me directly by cheque via her accountant . I asked which currency and she said sterling or euros. I provided my address then got this e mail:
I received a confirmation call from my accountant some hours ago, that the full reservation payment as been sent, but there was a mix up in the payment sent to you. I was suppose to received two separate payment one for you and the other for my traveling agent that would help me with the necessary document needed to travel, but I was told that all payment was issue in your name and sent. I tried to correct this but it was in vain. I told my accountant to stop the payment and resend it but i was told it is too late for him to do this. Because he has make the record of the payment and also the cheque as already be sent out to your address. Please I don't know what to do.

My traveling agent advised me to contact you since the cheque where issued in your name, you should be able to cash it into your account, remove the rent payment, including the bank charges that is use for the verification of the cheque into your account and send the balance to my traveling agent. Please do let me know how you can help on this issue.

Hope to read from you soon.

Best Regard
I wrote back apologising that I could now longer accept her booking as my accountant had told me i could no proceed as she suggested. I said I would return any cheque I received in the post to her accountant!!

I have read other posts which say that now the scammer will have my e mail address. My e mail address is there on the listing sites anyway so am wondering how this makes a difference - would be grateful for an explanation
joddle

Post by joddle »

Classic scam but a little reworked to try and make it sound more plausible - but to those of use who have seen these before it makes it more obvious it is scam.

These scammers want you to return money to them so having your email will probably not be too much of an issue other than to try and get you to change your mind. One they realise you are not biting they will try it with someone else.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Anyone who ever claims that they can only make payment via an accountant, an employer or other third party (i.e. church) is a scammer full stop. Terminate any discussion the minute this is raised.
AndrewH

Re: Scam through OD - Nori Cox

Post by AndrewH »

rosebud wrote:I wrote back apologising that I could no longer accept her booking as my accountant had told me i could no proceed as she suggested. I said I would return any cheque I received in the post to her accountant!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Very good!
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Didn't the poor grammar and unorthodox payment method request make your 'scam anteni' twitch? If your not sure in future always drop a post or at least check on lay my hat for similar issues before replying to those type of emails.

Saying that, my grammar and spelling is almost as bad as that.... :?
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Thanks everyone ... !

It was the first time in 3 and bit years I have encountered anything like this.

My 'scammer antennae' did begin to twitch but I was away with a trained accountant who seemed to think it was okay - she may have influenced me...

I will be on the case in the future....
klockstone

Post by klockstone »

Same but from Melissa Clark <mel-jem@outlook.com> :

Hello
I received a confirmation call from my accountant some hours ago, that the full reservation payment as been sent, but there was a mix up in the payment sent to you

I was suppose to received two separate payment one for you and the other for my traveling agent that would help me with the necessary document needed to travel, but i was told that all payment was issue in your name and sent. I tried to correct this but it was in vain. I told my accountant to stop the payment and resend it but i was told it is too late for him to do this. Because he has make the record of the payment and also the check as already be sent out to your address. Please I don't know what to do.

My traveling agent advised me to contact you since the check where issued in your name, you should be able to cash it into your account, remove the rent payment, including the bank charges that is use for the verification of the check into your account and send the balance to my traveling agent. Please do let me know how you can help on this issue.

Hope to read from you soon

Kind Regards

==== my reply ====

Dear Melissa,

Please send me the mail address of your accountant. I will return the cheque to him as soon as I receive it. Please tell him to cancel the cheque with the bank and reissue a cheque with the correct value.

Under our Terms and Conditions, our company does not return payments in excess of the value of the rental.

=====

So far, no reply ...
Keith
www.larches-cottage.co.uk

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Hi Keith
Yes identical text .. with same grammar errors!
Were you also contacted through Home Away / OD/ VRBO?
Jenny
klockstone

Post by klockstone »

Hi Jenny,

We're with OD but it originated from VRBO.
Keith
www.larches-cottage.co.uk

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
kevsboredagain

Re: Scam through OD - Nori Cox

Post by kevsboredagain »

rosebud wrote:
I have read other posts which say that now the scammer will have my e mail address. My e mail address is there on the listing sites anyway so am wondering how this makes a difference - would be grateful for an explanation
A myth.

Spammers are very keen on harvesting email addresses in the millions and even more keen to know which ones are valid but this is a scammer not a spammer. They are targeting property adverts. Why would they want to target the same person again and again if they didn't fall for it first time? These people want fresh victims not repeated failures.

There's always a chance they sell their email list to a spammer but not that likely. I've not noticed any adverse effects of verifying a scam is a scam.

The best way to give away your email address to spammers is to publish it on your website where it will be harvested by internet bots :wink:
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

My messages from Nori Cox came VRBO too...

Jenny