Alex Harrison, Seattle

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Grimmy

Alex Harrison, Seattle

Post by Grimmy »

This smells of a scam to me - would you reply at all or just ignore? I had initially responded to an OD enquiry.

I’m delighted to hear from you, i will like to make the booking done as soon as possible. I’ve contacted my associate about the cost for the period and he said he would arrange a cheque from one of your local bank that will clear into you account within 2day without any bank charges. I believe that would be more secured and easier.

This is the information needed for my booking
Name- Alex Harrison
Address- 814 E Highland Dr,
City- Seattle, WA
Postal Code-98102
Country-USA

I will need this follow information from you, to make my payment send to you, once you receive the cheque take it to your bank for clearance and confirm my booking immediately

I need this details from you
Full name on the cheque-
Address-
City-
Postal Code-
Contact Number-

Once i have this information, i will forward it to my associate to drawn the cheque on your name / company name

I look forward to hear from you
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Anyone responding with a third party payment arrangement of this kind stinks of scam. 😷
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Guaranteed 100% gold plated scam. Unless you feel like stringing him along for a while and then getting threatening and abusive emails for wasting his time I'd ignore it. You could forward it to the scam lot at OD and they might shut him down until he reappears with a new persona.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

i will like to make the booking done as soon as possible.

He don't speak good English like what I done.

Classic scam. The associate will send a dud check for too much money (in error!). He will tell you this and ask honest you to refund the difference to a bank account somewhere in the world, or send it by other means.

Your best bet IMO is just to ignore Alex's email, but if absence of a reply penalises you with OD in some way, then tell him via the dashboard in one line that you are not interested.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Report it to OD as scam.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

No one called Alex Harrison in Seattle has such a poor command of the English language, even if every other aspect of their correspondence did not whiff to high heaven of a really inept scam attempt. Does anyone have stats as to how much cash this type of fraudster reaps via this kind of phishing scam? I struggle to understand how it doesn't cost them more in internet subscriptions than they ever make back in hard currency.

Don't ignore it - report it to OD but reply telling the scammer how you really wonder how proud their mother/family is of the way they have chosen fraud as their career. Most of these scams still originate from Nigeria, a very religious country on the face of it, so you could always throw in some lines about the wrath of god and being consigned to the flames of eternal hell :D
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

Thanks all - you've confirmed my suspicions. I'll report to OD (for what it's worth) and ignore him from now on.

Cheers