A word of advice regarding French Emergency phone numbers

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
chipiechoo

A word of advice regarding French Emergency phone numbers

Post by chipiechoo »

In our guest information we left advice that the number for Pan-European help was 112, plus other emergency numbers as stated.
Having had to dial this number recently I can advise you that they hung up on me after just a few words 3 times in a row calling from a house phone and somebody else calling from a mobile got the same result.
The only time we had success was by calling SAMU on 15 and that had to be from a landline.
Hope this information proves useful to others in the future in times of a crisis.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Thanks for this info - any idea what number you call if you've only got a mobile on you?
farley

Post by farley »

This sounds extremely scary. So sorry you had this situation to deal with. Thank goodness for your success contacting SAMU.

Do you have any idea why the 112 people cut you off?
farley

Post by farley »

Getogether-france.org

The above website has a very useful information to download. The Deux Sevres Sapeur and Pompiers produced "112 In case of emergency leaflet".
We have included it in our gite information guide. I do suggest gite owners do this in addition to providing local doctor information etc.

Our guests did use the leaflet last year to summon assistance via 112 and thankfully the system worked for them. They had a three way conversation involving the 112 operator and a translator.

Hope the above is useful .
chipiechoo

Post by chipiechoo »

In answer to the questions asked;
112 we can only assume that this service is totally overwhelmed as they made no attempt to pursue any conversation.
15 SAMU - provide you speak French and are callling from a French mobile or landline the service is second to none.
The main issue we learn't is that the French Emergency services require a recognized number to show up on their display unit and that all external calls from these services and the hospitals are blocked from calling international phone numbers. So using a British or other foreign mobile we assume will not be acceptable as the services are unable to call back, we believe the number shows up on their display screen as unknown, so they hang up.
Purely our experience I am referring to.
farley

Post by farley »

Hi Chipiechoo
I think this failure of the 112 service needs to be raised with the 'powers that be'. I don't know to whom you and/or your guests would write but maybe someone on LMH could offer up some knowledgeable suggestions.

I did have another thought regarding guests in similar situations to your own. Travel insurance companies provide a 24/7 contact number for emergencies, I presume that would work if 112 were to fail.
Just an idea.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've had to use 112 in the mountains to call the piste rescue, when I came across an accident. I had my UK mobile on me at the time, and it worked. It is a bit worrying though, and my phone app for the resort will also call the emergency services.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

farley wrote:Hi Chipiechoo
I think this failure of the 112 service needs to be raised with the 'powers that be'.
I can't help but agree with that, farley.

I've used 112, from my French mobile in an area with no cover on my own network (Free). My call was patched through via another network (Orange) and all worked properly.
chipiechoo

Post by chipiechoo »

I think this failure of the 112 service needs to be raised with the 'powers that be'.
Couldn't agree with you more and maybe we will when we get the strength, don't think the guest will pursue the issue.
Thank you also for
Getogether-france.org
We shall print that off and leave with all the other emergency info, which was extensive.
Had to smile at the written in bold instruction 'DO NOT HANG UP'.
chipiechoo

Post by chipiechoo »

Who are the 'powers that be' ?
If anybody could suggest to whom we address this issue regarding 112 and their non-response we would be very grateful, we don't know where to start.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It will probably be the European Commission, as it is an EU led initiative. https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-mar ... ur-country
baringa

Post by baringa »

So who answers the 112 call, is it a local or national switchboard and service? If local, it would account for why it works for some and not for others.