Clouds

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
CarolineH

Clouds

Post by CarolineH »

Can I have recommendations for cloud use, please. Primarily between my desktop and laptop, but possibly for my android devices, too?

What is the most efficient and easiest to use. I have, for many years, been using Carbonite to do automated online backups, can I replace this with a cheaper (or free) cloud solution?

Many thanks
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

I've found Dropbox to be useful though the amount of free space is limited. However there is extra free space to be earned (by both parties) by referring friends (such as by following the link above).

At present I restrict my use to my essential files only that I need to be able to access anywhere.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Another vote for Dropbox, fairly easy to use and free for limited use. For my less frequently used/ less important files I back up on a good old fashioned memory stick.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

+1 for Dropbox. I pay an annual sub to make sure I have enough space for everything, primarily my photos. I'm paranoid about losing them so I have them backed up on USB drives and on Dropbox.

OH and my siblings also have access to my Dropbox pictures folder so they access any photos relevant to them.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

I have to say that for photos Google Photos is good as an additional back up (Free at good resolution but you have to pay for super high res). They do some fantastic image recognition and if you trick it into thinking you are in the US you can tag faces to names. It makes it so easy as I can just type items and names like Ian and Lobster and it shows all of the pictures of me with a lobster. :-)
Essar

Post by Essar »

ianh100 wrote:It makes it so easy as I can just type items and names like Ian and Lobster and it shows all of the pictures of me with a lobster. :-)
Sad really, comes from living in rural Dorset I expect! :lol:
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"