should i make up all beds?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
ClareW

should i make up all beds?

Post by ClareW »

Hi- I have my first ever guests arriving this Friday for a long weekend!
It is a couple and they will be using the main bedroom (I did check with them) Am not sure whether its ok to leave the beds in the 2nd bedroom not made up or whether its the 'done' thing to have all beds made up even if the 2nd room isn't to be used (I guess they could have an argument or one could snore etc...!).
My next booking isn't until 30th Dec and I wouldn't want to leave the unused bed made up until then as in this cold weather the bedding could get cold in between guests with the heating not on. It seems silly to make it up and then just take it back off unused though? Any opinions gratefully received thanks.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I always make up all the beds if the full price has been paid. If I've given a discount for under occupancy I don't and tell guests that. There are often problems with one half of a couple snoring so sometimes a second bedroom is required.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

What LV says. Unless the guests are fully aware that the second bed will not be made up, it should be available for their own use.

Good luck with your first guests! It’s nerve wracking but very rewarding - and don’t be afraid to ask them for their input and suggestions.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Good luck - I would also make up all the beds.

I don't give under occupancy discounts so take the view that they have paid for the right to use all the cottage facilities and rooms.
ClareW

Post by ClareW »

Thank you all for your responses- it's a trundle bed in the 2nd room so will make up as a single just incase!
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Agree with everyone else. My price is for the whole property so I always make up all the beds regardless. A surprising number of couples do seem to make use of the second bedroom - I'm always a bit gutted when they do if I have been expecting an easy changeover!
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

I find this one frustrating too.

You have a couple but you never know which room they are going to use as not all couples sleep together especially in later life.

It annoys me when they use the double room to sleep in and use the beds in the twin room to put there cases on usually both single beds, one each. GRrrrr! Doesn't happen every time though.

I then have to remove and wash the lot.

Ah well got to be done.
Martha

Post by Martha »

People putting cases on clean linen is really annoying, I agree. If I think it's likely (EG one person in a twin room, or a spare room available) I put the bedspread over the whole bed - that way it doesn't matter so much.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I agree with all the other LMHers - if your guests are paying full rate (i.e. no reduced rate for reduced occupancy/room availability), then all beds should be made up ready. After all, if your property sleeps six, you wouldn't remove 4 of the dining chairs for a 2 person occupancy, would you?
akwe-xavante wrote:I find this one frustrating too.

You have a couple but you never know which room they are going to use as not all couples sleep together especially in later life.

It annoys me when they use the double room to sleep in and use the beds in the twin room to put there cases on usually both single beds, one each. GRrrrr! Doesn't happen every time though.

I then have to remove and wash the lot.

Ah well got to be done.
We have had many couples who have used both bedrooms - one snores, or one likes to read at night, or they find it too hot in the summer to sleep together in the double bed, etc etc. We have also had several couples who have used just the double bedroom and its en suite shower room - lovely! :lol:

Like others, we used to have problems with people dumping their dirty dusty suitcases on the beds, marking the bed linen. We now have a case rack in each bedroom and, as we help them in with their cases, casually put a case on the rack for them. It's surprising the difference it's made. :lol: :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I also agree with making up all the beds. I don't think the property looks inviting with beds left bare so guests may not want to return.

You can also get luggage mats to go on the beds from Out of Eden if there is not enough room for luggage stands
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

zebedee wrote:I also agree with making up all the beds. I don't think the property looks inviting with beds left bare so guests may not want to return.

You can also get luggage mats to go on the beds from Out of Eden if there is not enough room for luggage stands
Agree and never thought of luggage mats, never crossed my mind that such a thing existed. Racks are not an option for me, rooms too small. I'll have a look at mats though.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Sticking my neck out here and the only one by the look of things.......if you specifically know they'll be sleeping together then you could just make up the main bedroom but leave the bedding on the other bed/s just in case they want to use that too. We sleep 12 but house is often booked for just one couple so we make up 2 doubles and leave the bedding on the rest then they can choose their bedroom if we picked the wrong one.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

KathyG wrote:Sticking my neck out here and the only one by the look of things.......if you specifically know they'll be sleeping together then you could just make up the main bedroom but leave the bedding on the other bed/s just in case they want to use that too. We sleep 12 but house is often booked for just one couple so we make up 2 doubles and leave the bedding on the rest then they can choose their bedroom if we picked the wrong one.
Nope, I wouldn't necessarily make up all the beds either, but I always make sure I leave extra bedding on the beds in case they need to use it. If I had a couple stay I would make up two bedrooms but I certainly wouldn't make up the third.
ClareW

Post by ClareW »

Thanks for the replies- I had asked whether they would be using the 2nd room in case it wasn't a couple and they said they would just be using the main bedroom. Have made up the 2nd room as a single after your replies just in case of snoring or arguments (!) and it looks much more homely as well.
Is it normal for me to have been so scared driving away from the cottage today having prepared it for my very first guests??! It did look lovely but I was so worried I may have forgotten to do something or left something silly out! They chose to let themselves in using the key safe so hopefully they are there now and settled in.... after 6 months of hard graft getting it ready this feels quite momentous!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

ClareW wrote: Is it normal for me to have been so scared driving away from the cottage today having prepared it for my very first guests??!
Oh yes. Definitely normal. It gets easier, but you never stop wanting everything to be spot on. Enjoy the buzz!