unwelcome pets

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Orsonthecat

Post by Orsonthecat »

If you want to dilute the let down with an 'excuse', you could say to them that the next set of guests have pet allergies so it really is a no-no.
So much to learn....so little time!
joddle

Post by joddle »

Even though I am a pet lover and do allow pets at my property I agree with everyone above - don't let them bully you. Your rules and that's it. If they sneak a pet in then turf them out, (and if you had a deposit keep it for any additional cleaning) but first send an email (with return receipt) re-stating no pets allowed and that's the terms they booked under. So if they try and cancel then you can tell them there will be no refund as they breached the agreement and you will be unable to rebook at such short notice.

The sneaky way they tried to get you to ignore this means they are not honest people and so I would not trust them with anything from now on. Remember its your Christmas too - and that means you should be able to have one free from the worry of all this!
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
rebecca278

Post by rebecca278 »

Thanks for all your comments. LOL, she actually did say its a real small well behaved dog a .......Lurcher ! And I was thinking OH so no fleas or pet hair/dander then ! Only been letting since June massive learning curve. :shock:
New holiday let owner and terrified
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

So what have you decided to do??
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

Every single dog (and child!) is "well behaved" according to their keeper.
rebecca278

Post by rebecca278 »

The guests have just dropped off their Christmas turkey as they had asked me if they could keep it in the fridge today as they are due in tomorrow, which is fine. I have previously reiterated the terms and conditions and they said that the dog would be staying else where, however you know when you get that feeling ! I really felt I couldn't turn them away at this time of year. Also how do I stand with a management company taking my bookings ? I live across the road so I will see all the coming and goings. I definately think I am going to become a curtain twitcher and am beginning to wonder if its all worth it. Hohoho :(
New holiday let owner and terrified
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I have often wondered what would happen if you wanted guests to leave as in this situation, and they refused! What can you do?
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Last year I had a family ask if their 'well behaved' dog could stay and I said no because my cottage was advertised as pet-free and I had bookings following which might have been from allergic people. They then asked if he could sleep outside in a stable. Again, I said no, partly because it was mid-winter and he would have been cold and partly because I knew jolly well he wouldn't be out there all the time. So I gave them a list of local kennels.

When they arrived, they parked their car in an odd place, away from the front door of the cottage. I wandered nonchalantly past the car and spied the dog, being very good and quiet in the back. They realised they had been rumbled and came out with a story that they were just about to take him to a kennels but when I asked them which one, it was clear they hadn't booked anywhere as they couldn't say. Anyway they went off with the dog and I don't think (?) he came back with them. I felt a bit mean as I love dogs but those are my rules!!
louloup

Post by louloup »

Who will be letting them into the cottage? I would make it very clear that if they turn up with the dog they won't be given the keys. I hate that kind of emotional blackmail, I can ignore your rules but you have to be nice to me because it is Christmas.
COYS

Post by COYS »

louloup wrote:Who will be letting them into the cottage? I would make it very clear that if they turn up with the dog they won't be given the keys. I hate that kind of emotional blackmail, I can ignore your rules but you have to be nice to me because it is Christmas.
+1
Correct me if I'm mistaken Rebecca278, but I get the impression that you're a little intimidated by this guest & consequently she may think that she can manipulate you (per original conversation & reference to breed etc)
Rules are rules for one & all. Hope it all works out but the learning curve is long, often steep & we're all still on it.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
joddle

Post by joddle »

I have to agree with the above post - they do seem to be manipulating you - and now they ask if OK to drop off their turkey!!!! Seems they have you where they want you - be careful.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Lets Go To Puglia

Post by Lets Go To Puglia »

What happened?
Ciao, Debbie

Puglia Holiday Villas Facebook Page
---------------------
It's not the things you did you look back on and regret it's the things you didn't do!
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Lets Go To Puglia wrote:What happened?
+1
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I was wondering too!
GRL

Post by GRL »

kyreniagirl wrote:I have often wondered what would happen if you wanted guests to leave as in this situation, and they refused! What can you do?
We can switch off the electricity and water from our house and remove the gas bottle ;)