Goldilocks and mattresses.

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Readingcorner

Goldilocks and mattresses.

Post by Readingcorner »

Hi all. We are now at the buying of mattresses stage and would love some advice. I am aware that mattress preference is very subjective regarding firmness etc so how do I choose which ones to buy? I am looking on the Mattissons site, and have also looked at IKEA. The beds are all wooden frames with slats, as we can't get divans into our tiny cottage. Do we go with a medium amount of springs or more, or memory foam, or a combination of mattress and topper? Choices, choices...... TIA :?
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hello and welcome.
Are you going for the high end of the market? The middle? Or bunk beds / large groups???

This answer to this question will help refine answers.
Generally, you want the best mattresses you can afford. When you are on holiday, how important is a good nights sleep to you? How important is your comfort in your bed?
Readingcorner

Post by Readingcorner »

We are hoping for the middle market. It's a small 2 bed cottage. My question was more about what type of mattress your customers find comfortable. Do I go for medium firm? or softer mattresses. Memory foam or sprung. I know what I like to sleep on, but I would like to know what the majority of customers respond positively to.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I don't like really firm mattresses, so I asked Mattissons what they recommend. They pointed me towards their cheapest pocket sprung. The more springs, the firmer it gets. I like the bed, it's firm without being like a piece of rock, and my guests are happy too.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

After comments on this forum, we went for a spring and memory foam mattress from Mattisons earlier this year. Not the lowest price, very comfortable.
(Be careful about the lead time for delivery though.)
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

Following good reviews on here I bought 2 mathisons cosmopolitan I think the model was, for a rental flat. They were c 500 gbp for the 2 doubles.

Anyway, I asked my tenants if they liked them as I did not hear anything. They love them.

So having not seen them yet I would recommend them, þhe old ones were truly awful but amazingly the tenants did not complain.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Cosmopolitan was what I bought.
Readingcorner

Post by Readingcorner »

Thanks for the information. I am off to Mattisons 😊
jazzuk777

Post by jazzuk777 »

We've bought memory foam - can't imagine going back to sprung having had one! Can get them quite cheaply too, we sprung on a great discount on ebay a while back and have had them in our garage while we found a property to put them in!.
Small Victorian terrace in Caister let to friends and family
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Mattisons Cosmopolitan gets my vote. And we have had guests ask where we got the mattress. We are now wishing we hadn't bought the one we have at home which was much much more expensive and not nearly as comfortable.
bythesea

Post by bythesea »

I am just trying to buy two mattresses from Mattison via their website but it is requesting a VAT reg number before I can create an account...is it possible to buy from them as an individual rather than a business? (Following recommendation on here I am actually planning to use these particular mattresses for home, but will be ordering the holiday let mattresses from there too in a few weeks). Many thanks :)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

No you don't need a VAT number. Ring them up if their website doesn't allow you to create an account without that. Just tell them you're a holiday home owner.
bythesea

Post by bythesea »

Thanks Nemo, will do :)