new kitchen -fitted or freestanding oven?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
bythesea

new kitchen -fitted or freestanding oven?

Post by bythesea »

Finally getting round to fitting the kitchen in our newly renovated holiday house. I have seen previously that people have suggested free standing appliances due to the fact that they can easily be replaced if needed...does the same apply to ovens? A built under oven with a hob would look better I think, but a freestanding oven may be more practical...any thoughts please? many thanks :)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

From the point of view of cooker, definitely a separate hob and oven. If hob breaks it is only hob to replace. With a cooker, you'd have to replace the whole thing, even if the oven still worked. All my appliances are built in though. It looks so much better in a small kitchen like mine, but can see the advantages of freestanding.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Have the oven built in, with a separate hob.
I’m against most built in/fully integrated appliances in a holiday let as they are a pig when they go wrong; they are often not stock items that you can rush out and pick up (although they are far more readily available online than they used to be with fast delivery), and swapping the integrated doors or fascia panels can be a long job. Being able to swap an appliance in a changeover is a real bonus.
An oven is the exception. Apart from the fact that freestanding cookers now look like something from a 1960s soap opera, a built in oven doesn’t have integrated doors and is remarkably simple to swap out - plus the fact that they have very little to fail compared with say a dishwasher (did I just hear the Appliance Breakdown Demon knocking......? :twisted: )
As Hells Bells says, a hob fault doesn’t then require a whole new cooker.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

We have freestanding which we inherited from the previous owner. It does make it easy to replace, which we will probably do to a better model soon. However if I was starting from scratch I would probably go for built in as it looks nicer. I wouldn't have thought it would be that much trouble to replace either a built in oven or hob although might be a bit more expensive.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Then there's the horrid bits of stuff that get down the sides. You'd have to pull it out at every changeover.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Hells Bells wrote:Then there's the horrid bits of stuff that get down the sides. You'd have to pull it out at every changeover.
Yes, we are staying at our place this week and have just pulled ours out. Absolutely disgusting!
bythesea

Post by bythesea »

Thank you all, some very good points! Looks like a built in oven with separate hob is the way to go! :)