Request to use holiday lets for a post-wedding party

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Whatever

Request to use holiday lets for a post-wedding party

Post by Whatever »

Our holiday lets and are often booked by bridal parties attending local weddings. We increasingly have requests for people who want to hold a pre-wedding drinks party or a post-wedding BBQ. Do you think it would be reasonable to request an additional payment for use of the properties as a party venue?

I am sure that there will be more clean-up work for us as a result of the parties and it is an additional hassle. Any thoughts on what would be a reasonable rate?

Thanks
COYS

Post by COYS »

From personal experience, I'd avoid it like the plague. I won't go into detail but once bitten, twice shy & no amount of additional payment would convince me otherwise.

I'd also consider where you are in relation to neighbouring property & any disturbance it would cause them.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

COYS wrote:From personal experience, I'd avoid it like the plague. I won't go into detail but once bitten, twice shy & no amount of additional payment would convince me otherwise.

I'd also consider where you are in relation to neighbouring property & any disturbance it would cause them.
+1
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

You are far far braver than I am.

No amount of money would be enough!
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

If you do agree then make sure you charge them to cover the increased usage and increase your damage deposit accordingly.

I would also have concerns about upsetting neighbours.
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

never again - check your insurance policy - here in France our policy covers us for a maximum occupancy of 17 across the site
Essar

Post by Essar »

You could always try it once. :roll:
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Martha

Post by Martha »

Another vote for 'never again!' here.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Annew

Post by Annew »

No no no no ... don't do it!

Last one we accepted (18 mths ago) held a drinks party for 90 in a cottage that sleeps 10. Also burnt down two trees with their (unauthorised) chimenea that they brought with them and just so many broken glasses and so much other damage ... gives me palpitations thinking about it again! The bride and groom (who booked the whole thing) lived in canada and actually ran a holiday lodge business through AirBNB .. I would've thought they would know better.

Worst of all the bride was the daughter of a reasonably well know judge who lives locally.

I did keep the damage deposit, but they got really pissy about it!
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
Martha

Post by Martha »

^^ What a nightmare....mine were local too, that's how I found out they planned a massive party with DJ and PA system without telling me!
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

Yes avoid. I used to look aftr a house that had a party, dj, catering. Gosh what p..ss takers, pay for a rental and trash the place. I saw the after effectand it was not nice.

If a guest had a cheeky party in mine i would just call the police and get them evicted. Some people are just p..ss takers.
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Sorry to be pedantic, gardenboy. Whilst I agree with your first paragraph, I'm pretty sure the police wouldn't get involved.
If a guest is in your property legitimately, i.e. they have paid to be there then if they then hold a party I'm sure the police would consider it a civil matter and wouldn't evict them for you.

Otherwise agree with everything that's been said.