Bedrooms

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
curlyfry

Bedrooms

Post by curlyfry »

Hypothetical question. I may be buying a property with a lot of land in the back and I am looking at the possibility of putting a few log cabins on it to let out as a holiday let is something I have always wanted to try. So how many bedrooms should I look into for best return. I am only looking at small 1 or 2 bedroom places as I would wish to advertise as a quite getaway place in the country no pets no smoking etc. Would a couple want to rent a 2 bedroom place.
Vera

Post by Vera »

We have 2 properties on our land. A one bedroom 45 sq metres for 2 people maximum and a two bedroom 66 sq metres.

The two bedroom is for 4 people max but this year out of 16 bookings it has been for 4 people once, 3 people once and 14 times only for couples.

Couples seem to like the little extra space.

The 2 bedroom only has one bathroom and if possible we would add a 2nd one. But we are very happy when it is only a couple staying.

Hope this helps.
Annieb

Post by Annieb »

We have only started advertising through a rental company for the first time recently so have no long term advice.
We have taken 10 bookings so far this year since July for a two bedroom bungalow. Out of those ten two were couples.
We are very close to the sea and the majority of the booking in July and August were families , with the couples booking the last week in August and September. We have not offered any discounts for people renting who will be using one bedroom.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I have a 2 bedroom cottage .. 1 double bedroom & 1 single.

40% of my bookings have been for couples from April 2016...
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Just had a quick look at our last year for our Chester 2 bed cottage (1 double & 1 twin) 25% couples, 25% 3 adults and 50% families.

Our Devon 2 bed cottage (also 1 double & 1 twin) was 50% couples, 20% 3 adults and 30% families.

We charge the same rate regardless of how many guests stay - mainly becuse we're off site so have no easy way of checking.

Some of the couples may have used both bedrooms - they might have been siblings or friends or with a partner who snores so they may have specifically wanted a 2 bedroom house and wouldn't have considered a 1 bedroom place.

If the build cost of a 2 bedroom is not significantly more than a 1 bed then I would recommend 2 bed - it widens your potential market a lot more.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth