Cosy fires...not! Beat this one!

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Excellent! Alan, you're the man!

How many conversations have I had with French builders that come to a grinding halt when I get to a noun? I'm going to Amazon right now...
Paolo
Lay My Hat
MadDogWoman

Too true!

Post by MadDogWoman »

Blooming marvellous. Mr MDW will trust me more with the builders knowing I have a book to point at rather than me having to mime for them which can lead to a certain amount of confusion!!! :lol: :wink:
Nic
tansy

Post by tansy »

Having virtually lived with builders for 4 years I reckon we may now know every term going...including the swear words! I'll sit down with Mike my husband and Didi our right hand man and list for you if you like...can't swear to the correct spelling or grammar....but it works for us ...lissage is the polyfiller you are looking for! Ramange that is your chimney swept - your local roofer does it - you need a certificate from him once a year, he must be a proper registered business to validate for your insurance.

We too had a beam catch in our converted boulangerie (guest hut!), very frightening - certainly made us revise our - it'll be OK attitiude!...we bought a big wood burner for the main house this year...we bought it from Pont Vert who fitted it - 5.5% TVA but they wouldn't deliver until we produced a ramonage certificate...then the chap who installed virtually crawled up the chimney to inspect everything before he proceeded. But the fitting is superb and really well done...make the most of 5.5% TVA offer...really it's fitting for free if you work out the difference from the normal 19.6% plus parts to fit it yourself.
enid

Post by enid »

You could try the English - French Dictionary of Building, Property and Gardening ISBN 0 9521027 0 6 It's small enough to fit in your pocket and we have found it very useful.

We have been having the insurance / chimney swept certificate debate here too. There seem to be two camps but after your experience I think we'll stick to the swept every year.

Another vote for the pompiers from us too - luckily we were a hornet's nest and not a fire problem. Glad you had such helpful neighbours - you never know , the sight of you in your jammies might have made his day!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Enid,
We have been having the insurance / chimney swept certificate debate here too. There seem to be two camps but after your experience I think we'll stick to the swept every year.
The only way to deal with the debate is to look at your own insurance policy. It's the small print and not the opinions of friends and neighbours which decides the issue.

The pompiers service around here gets 100% for me.

Alan
enid

Post by enid »

[quote]The only way to deal with the debate is to look at your own insurance policy. It's the small print and not the opinions of friends and neighbours which decides the issue.

Have spoken to them today and in our case it is not required but it does vary with insurance company.

Just come back from a walk in glorious sunshine - but I was glad to see that blazing fire on my return as it's freezing here at the moment!!!!
enid

Post by enid »

Thanks Alan

I agree and I have spoken to them today and in our case it is not required but it does vary with insurance company.

Just come back from a walk in glorious sunshine - but I was glad to see that blazing fire on my return as it's freezing here at the moment!!!!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Enid,

From an insurance point of view that's good news. If I were you would still have the chimney swept on a regular basis, just for my own peace of mind.

I know what you mean about the temperatures. I live not far from you and it is sunny and bloody cold here too!

Alan
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Enid,

I can't find that book on Amazon.com, .co.uk, or .fr!
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

You can buy it by mail order here:

[/url]www.french-property-news.com/fpn/prod02.htm

(Not that I'm also endorsing it, I haven't seen it).
Paolo
Lay My Hat
enid

Post by enid »

Thanks for fnding a source Paolo - we had the book as a gift so I would have tried Amazon too.

Happy bricolage