Where to buy sheets ?

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi Ros,
All fine here thanks, except for the terrible weather!
I think most French people have the bolsters with the open cases and then big square pillows on top with covers that do close. However, most shops now sell the rectanglar pillows that are used in the UK with the proper cases - that is what I use in the gites. I don't find the bolsters very comfortable.
French duvet covers tend to be open at one end and have a 'rabat' which you tuck under the bottom of the mattress to keep it in place on the bed. I like them for beds with a head and footboard, but prefer the fastened ones (as in the UK) for beds with just a headboard, it looks nicer.
The French are also use to having a flat sheet under the duvet - whereas I just provide a duvet cover that is washed at every change along with the pillow cases and fitted sheet.

Very serious topic!!!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

French duvet covers tend to be open at one end and have a 'rabat' which you tuck under the bottom of the mattress to keep it in place on the bed
LV - thank you!!!! You have just explained something which was puzzling me about the linen duvet cover I bought from Redoute ages ago! I wonder'd what the hell I was supposed to do with it & did finally resort to tucking it under!

On the subject of redoute and sizes...I ended up with two pillowcase different sizes and a (supposedly) king-sized duvet that was HUGE.

I find this company great when the sales are on (and they deliver abroad)

http://www.thewhitecompany.com/default.aspx

the quality is amazing

mouse
x
Last edited by Mouse on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
centime

Post by centime »

Has any one found a supplier of valance sheets? They are easily found as part of the set in the UK but I don't seem to come across them here on the mainland. Does Ikea do them? All I have found here are heavy and expensive ones in El Corte Ingles in Lisbon.
Lisbon the lovely, Lisbon the fair, never to have seen her is to miss something rare!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Mousie,
You have just cost me a fortune, I love the white company like I love Boden for kids clothes (who also deliver abroad). Now I know that TWC deliver abroad too my bank balance could be in serious trouble!
Ann

Post by Ann »

French duvet covers tend to be open at one end and have a 'rabat' which you tuck under the bottom of the mattress to keep it in place on the bed.[quote]

La Vache - I too am grateful for this knowledge. But I got so frustrated trying to iron the extra length that I bought a pack of velcro, cut off the rabat and replaced the end with a proper closure. Now I find it easier to cope!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I love Boden for kids clothes (who also deliver abroad)
LV we must be kindred spirits...half my wardrobe is stuff from Boden! :D ....so its a good job I don't have kids as well :lol:

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I don't think IKEA do valance sheets. I can't say I've seen them, but then I don't need them.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Centime,
You can get them from La Redoute, in France they are called cache sommier
http://www.laredoute.fr/Search/EA_Searc ... he+sommier

I'm afraid I don't know the equivalent in Portugese!
uluckylass

Hey! found a solution

Post by uluckylass »

Nisbets.co.uk
Great offers on all hotel bedding .. pillow cases 68p + vat
Everything was delivered free next day to my brother who posted them on and they still worked out 1/2 the price.
I would prefer to buy in France but the budget calls!!
I did spot some good buy towels in geant .. best price I have found and they wash well. Maria x
www.maisoncanal.com