management software?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
petchia

management software?

Post by petchia »

What software do you use to manage your property? I came across vacationrentpro.com for managing my property on my computer, but was hoping to find an online solution. I would like the software to be online so that I could access from anywhere (i may not have my computer with me).

The software needs to be able to take orders/payments and update my availability calendar, allow me to send out contracts, etc.

Any ideas?

What works for you?

Best,

-Bill
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Hi petchia,

welcome to the forum!

I wrote my own bookings management solution, but there are some available online. I can't remember what they are, but I'm sure others can help. In the meantime, have you tried searching the forum?
Brooke
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

http://www.holiday-bookings-online.com/

This is the system I use. My website calendar is customised, but the basic version can be seen on the site. Currently in the process of an upgrade. All admin is web-based, and the calendar can be linked to Paypal or other credit card payment system. If you want any more details PM me.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Helen

That looks like a very good booking system.

My only concern is that it takes the visitor off site (which may in the end not be a huge problem). I'd also rather buy a system that Ican host on my own site than rent one by the year that might just disappear one day.

I assume that as you mention it here you are happy with it?

The thing I like about it is the ability to specify prices and availability just for weekend and midweek breaks - I haven't found that elsewhere.

Does anyone know of a system that you can buy and put in-line on your own site that does that.

Best wishes

John
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My system can be customised to your site for an extra charge. This is what I have done.

Customised calendar
Windy

Post by Windy »

... and it looks very professional.

What I meant was are ther any similar offerings where you aren't at risk f the provider disappearing (i.e. you own the software and you can run it on your own site)

Having done a quick trawl it seems most if not all of these offerings are hosted by 3rd parties as is this one.

It just makes me feel a bit itchy to not have the level of control I want. (oo er was that an admission of some deep seated issues) :lol:

Best wishes

John
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Sorry. I misunderstood. Perhaps Brooke may be able to answer your query as I think she has an admin section set up on her domain?
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Yes, I did set up an admin section on my website a few years ago after searching for booking management systems and not being able to find anything within my price range that would suit my needs.

It allows me to track clients, bookings, inquiries, gross income and weekly expenses, and I've built in "comments" fields for each booking so that I can note when people paid what and whether they have special needs. I also set up a special login for my on-site property managers, so that they can check the house's booking status in real time and also have a record of "so-and-so is arriving after the shops close, so let's leave them some pasta and sauce" and so forth. It also sends me weekly reports telling me who's at the house, who's coming to the house, and whether I need to return deposits, take payments, send welcome packs, etc.

I would offer this to anyone who wants to use it, but I'm afraid I didn't really write it to be easily transferrable. I have thought about doing so but just haven't gotten around to that yet (it would require a major overhaul).
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke,

As with your floor planner, your booking management system sound like the answer to a “maiden’s prayer�.

If only you had the time, and the inclination, to develop “wizards� for your systems I think you could be onto some real winners.

In the meantime could you offer the booking management system on CD/DVD for people to play with or is it too deeply embedded in the coding of your own website?

Alan
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I don't think it's too embedded -- there are some quirks and bugs, but I could probably disentangle it.

I'm fixing a bug at the moment, and then I'm going to send the code to e-richard, who's thinking of tweaking it. I can send you a copy too, Alan! :)
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

vrooje wrote:I don't think it's too embedded -- there are some quirks and bugs, but I could probably disentangle it.

I'm fixing a bug at the moment, and then I'm going to send the code to e-richard, who's thinking of tweaking it. I can send you a copy too, Alan! :)
That would be appreciated. How would you do it? By e-mail attachment or otherwise?

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Brooke, could you send me a copy too please?? I'm afraid I will get a double booking at some stage unless I centralise everything a little more - the spreadsheet I have is a little too basic to cope with everything and my filing of booking forms is haphazard to put it politely.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

My original thoughts were to take the code and try to "generalise" it a bit so that others (including myself) could use it for their own bookings.

As I have already said to Brooke in a PM, while I do have the time, I would not wish to make this into a commercial product for sale, so I would be very happy to co-operate with others here on LMH to see if we can come up with something more broadly useful and personalized, but not as sophisticated and fancy as the commercial on-line offerings.

One possible plan is to get hold of the code from Brooke, put it up on a shared server somewhere so that those in the "consortium" could review it and build a spec for modification. Its just so much easier to list changes than it is to write a detailed Statement of Requirements from a blank sheet. Then we can always divvie up the work to build the product and see how we get along. Interested ?

Of course, this should not preclude anyone taking the code and building their own bespoke system.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I'm interested in being a beneficiary, but quite incapable of contributing, as e-Richard already knows. Instead, I volunteer to make the refreshments! :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
mon269

Post by mon269 »

e-Richard, I am more than happy to dedicate some time to this initiative. Mainly because I have never been part of a “consortium�. :P

I am assuming Brooke is happy with us doing this.