BBC iPlayer abroad (+ UK ITV, Channel 4 etc; US/Canadian TV)

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

Mountain Goat wrote:What I'm getting at is that AOL users may be getting a simple way of accessing geographically-restricted services, by virtue of being with AOL.
I had a call this afternoon from a customer in the UK wanting the Sterling price, that should have come up automatically based upon his IP address.

He was seeing the US$ price & using AOL.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

This program can download both BBC iPlayer video and audio, and may be useful - probably have to use a VPN for access outside Europe.

MG
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I've been recently recommended this outfit, ExPatShield, for watching UK TV content from abroad.

Only for Windows, and for the UK, but looks like good security as well. The price is right....

As I'm in the UK this month, I'd appreciate feedback on whether it works OK on BBC iPlayer from wherever you are.

BTW, look at the viewing counter on this thread!

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

MG , I know I'm in th UK, but downloaded this to try out on my next trip to France, but I got a malicious file warning when i tried to install.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Ouch. I'll get back to my contact.

MG
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

MG, Paul Carmel mentioned it back in December - there seemed to be some problems for it working on a mac...
viewtopic.php?p=184383&highlight=#184383
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

....who says that's a common complaint due to a clash with one's antivirus program.

It doesn't seem a brilliant idea to disable any antivirus protection to install it, so I will get further info and report.

I'm getting less than enthusiastic - thanks, LV.

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I am not using a Mac.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

ExpatShield may be one to miss. Their contact page has a Google map, and rather than being in the Heart of the Silicon Valley (sic) it looks like a private house in Blackheath, SE London. I can't see any way of making contact with them.

A user on another Forum has had their Gmail account blocked while using ExpatShield, due to 'suspicious activity'.

MG
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I have to say I didn't dare try it - I have an aversion to anything remotely 'ex-pat'.
mimosa

Post by mimosa »

I decided to jump into the deep end and give it a go.
I can't say I watch much english TV but it may come in handy.

I installed it and let all my Zone Alarm firewall alerts connect to the internet while biting my fingernails!!

I was very simple (I even had the option of not installing an annoying toolbar). It puts a shortcut on your desktop (if wanted) and you just click on it and select connect. I was conected in about 3 seconds and went to the BBC to see.
No ads amongst the news!!
Went to the Iplayer and was connected straight away.
There are ads at the top of the page when you are connected but you can close it.This is to be expected because someone has to pay for the work.
I didn't connect for very long but the first impression is great!

In Barcelona by the way
lorca

Post by lorca »

Mountain Goat wrote:ExpatShield may be one to miss. Their contact page has a Google map, and rather than being in the Heart of the Silicon Valley (sic) it looks like a private house in Blackheath, SE London. I can't see any way of making contact with them.

MG
They´re on Facebook and respond quickly to queries - and have had pretty good reviews in the UK broadsheets

We´ve had no problems
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Thanks, I may still install it before I go away next. There's a new series of Raymond Blanc's Kitchen secrets coming up and I don't want to miss them.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Yep, this old post!

I have been using www.filmon.com with some success, you still need a VPN but it means you can rec C4, ITV, etc

Hope you had a good summer!
Cheers
PC
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

So what's a VPN, Paul?

"Visible Panty Nickers"?
(Yes I know knickers is spelt with a "K" - it was one of the first things they taught us at Oxford - copyright Alan Bennett)

Mols :lol:
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.