BBC iPlayer abroad (+ UK ITV, Channel 4 etc; US/Canadian TV)

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Mountain Goat wrote:Does it work with the ITV equivalent?
Not sure what the ITV equivalent is, MG...but here are the chanels I can access:

BBC 1,2,3,4
CBBC
CBeebies
BBC News24
BBC Parliament
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Here's the ITV equivalent - CatchUp

I think that gives you ITV1, 2, 3, 4 - but don't get buried in Coro, RR, we need you here!

This is going to be great for punters, if they start complaining about just having one TV set. Sad, I know.

MG
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

This is cool, useful stuff.

If you are going to use it a lot, or even let your punters use it, do check your broadband contract for limits/caps and "fair usage" wording. Watching TV programs on-line really burns up the Gigabytes. Don't be fooled by the term "streaming" - this is still using up your download limits.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

e-richard wrote:If you are going to use it a lot, or even let your punters use it, do check your broadband contract for limits/caps and "fair usage" wording.
Thanks e-Richard! Er, I would, if I knew how. Alternatively, I'll just watch til the PC blows up.... or OH throws a wobbler 8)
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I guess we also need to experiment on using the proxy not only for streaming but also to download the play-later software - you then get 30 days to watch the prog.

And then work on zapping that 30 day limit?

MG
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Before anyone gets too excited, here is the latest....

Just tried to get back onto BBC for Basil Brush but no can do. Am using the same proxy, but the cunning Beeb seems to have "spotted" something and now won't let me connect. Unfortunately, no other UK proxy available on Proxy4free - might we be forced into buying some Proxy software? :roll:

Will wait for LV to report back.....
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

RR, there must be dozens of UK-based proxy outfits - have you tried Google? Or xroxy.com/proxy-country-GB.htm ?

MG
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Thanks, MG...yes, I did do quite a lot of Googling, but could only find pay-for stuff? I'll go and have another hunt....
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

RR, we clashed, and I listed a site in the post above.

One thing I don't understand, and it needs a guru to answer, is by using these proxy sites are we opening ourselves to any security issues? Are there any dodgy proxy sites?

Also, reliability must be a factor. That one above has reliability ratings from 100% to 43%, and could be a real pain if you're watching a movie and have to start again - no fast wind I assume?

MG
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

ok, thanks, MG - up and running again using your outfit!
It looks like you will have to change your proxy regularly, and don't forget to change the port. I also had to scrub something appearing in the field marked "No Proxy for:".

Yes, watch out for the reliability ratings, too.......

Yay, Basil Brush here I come.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Speed appears to be an issue as well, when using one of these outfits, and probably even more important with streaming video.

hide-my-ip.com is a site which sells software, and with a premium version to allow you to appear to be based in UK, US, Hong Kong etc. Their FAQ is useful.

I suppose this could be useful when buying software from the States, at half the price, a procedure which is often blocked. Although maybe that is taken care of by identifying where your credit card is billed from.

Is using a fake IP a sin? Discuss.

MG
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Mountain Goat wrote:Is using a fake IP a sin?
MG
Thanks, MG.
To answer your question - no, it's not (apparently), but what you use your fake IP for, could be 8)

Bit like speed radar gear in France - which you can buy, but not use I think
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Another update from your on-the-spot reporter:

ITV Catchup works too, but I had to install a plug-in, Microsoft Silverlight, to make it work.

I couldn't do this when I was on proxy settings...so, come out, and go back to Direct Connection to Internet, then install.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Have you tried another proxy, RR? I had the same snag today but changing to another proxy on this site http://www.xroxy.com/proxy-country-GB.htm fixed it.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Top tip, thanks Cassis. :D That's the same outfit MG pointed me to. Cor, put the LMH team onto a case - we're unbeatable!