BBC iPlayer abroad (+ UK ITV, Channel 4 etc; US/Canadian TV)

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Just to keep us on our toes, the BBC use quova.com/page.php?id=171 to detect fake IPs. Here's their blurb:

Proxy Locator
A proxy server can be used to obscure the true location of a Web visitor. Proxy servers do have legitimate uses but they can be an indication of online fraud. Quova's solution can determine if a Web visitor is accessing your Web site through a proxy server and attempting to mask their true location. If proxy use is discovered the Quova system quickly identifies the most effective means of geolocating that Web visitor and immediately deploys the best method to locate the originating connection to the Internet. This new Proxy Locator is an extension of the 6.0 GeoDirectory Server.

Also uktvabroad.com which LV mentioned, which offers paid access, may be worth a look, as in addition to BBC, ITV and Channels 4 and 5 they also offer Sky.

Which channels on Sky and whether you get your money back when they're zapped, which seems more than likely, I'm trying to find out.

MG
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Mountain Goat wrote: If proxy use is discovered the Quova system quickly identifies the most effective means of geolocating that Web visitor and immediately deploys the best method to locate the originating connection to the Internet.
Irk. What sort of retribution can we expect, MG? Will it be painful?
Mountain Goat wrote: ...which channels on Sky and whether you get your money back when they're zapped, which seems more than likely, I'm trying to find out.
Don't all rush at once, then...
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I don't understand the proxy list (xroxy.com/proxylist.php?port=&type=&ssl=&country=GB&latency=&reliability=#table) that I recommended.

If you select 'anon' and 'Great Britain', you end up with nothing. Isn't that what we want?

Looks like it's the cross-channel ferry for me this afternoon....
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Sorry about missing off the Firefox part of the instructions :oops: No wonder some of you had problems!
As I said, it is necessary to change the proxy address often, which is a pain, but if you Google 'free UK proxy' the lists are updated regularly with new proxy IPs. It is free, as opposed to the over £100 subscription for uktvabroad.com
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

As I said, it is necessary to change the proxy address often

LV - is that because the BBC geeks are blocking them?

MG
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Mountain Goat wrote:As I said, it is necessary to change the proxy address often

LV - is that because the BBC geeks are blocking them?

MG
For sure, MG. I guess if you buy your own proxy, it should be more difficult for the geeks to trace and block. Not sure what the price of them are though.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Got BBC sorted but even when my proxy say I am in Birmingham, Channel 4 said no way! They also seem to insist I use IE :roll: Any way around this?
Cheers
PC
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Paul,

Doesn't look like you can get round the IE requirement, which is specified by the 4oD software you have to install before you can view... maybe one of the gurus can help?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Not sure what the price of them are though

LV, seems to vary between around US$30 for one-off on one PC (though that needs investigating - assume it could be shared?) to $8/month for the premium version with hide-my-ip.com.

MG
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Paul Carmel wrote:Got BBC sorted but even when my proxy say I am in Birmingham, Channel 4 said no way! They also seem to insist I use IE :roll: Any way around this?
Have a look at revver.com/video/224527/how-to-use-a-http-proxy-ie-7 Paul
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Susan, You are a star in a reasonably priced..................lets not go down that road, Thanks again Boss!
Cheers
PC
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

I'll second that, PC! She really is. :D
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

:oops: :oops: Please no credit, all I do is google the appropriate phrase and get the relevant hacker sites and blogs, it is very easy!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

PAUL,
if you do manage to get Ch4, A place in the Sun Hotspots is featuring France and particularly Corsica tonight - I'll be looking out for your boat...
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=24 ... _gmtv_1680

Just a note of caution if youre watching tv shows on your computer.this was on Breakfast Telly today!!