Computers give me sleepless nights.

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Jimbo

Computers give me sleepless nights.

Post by Jimbo »

Samuel Johnson wrote:
Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information about it.
Computers are an essential component of both my businesses, I couldn't work effectively without them. I'm acutely aware, however, of big gaps in my knowledge about their activities when I read techie threads and get a bit lost. All of our machines were hand-built to our specifications by an expert and came with no instruction manuals. When we queried this, the guy said 'don't worry, you'll soon pick it up'. And, of course, you do but in a disjointed way - using the computers for sophisticated things but not always understanding the basics of keeping the machine healthy. And much on-line help is relentlessly written in computer 'jargon' that is often impenetrable to dimmer souls like me. And, when they crash as you're trying to hit a deadline, panic ensues!

Anybody suggest on-line tutorial help - in accessible language - with this? I'm always up early for coffee and gagging for new knowledge in the early hours before my brain starts to cloud over around 6.30am.

Thanks for any assistance.

Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:lol: That gives you quite a narrow window of opportunity Jimbo!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Jimbo

I couldn't have put it better, I feel exactly the same :!:

Chianti
CSE

Post by CSE »

Jimbo...what do you want to know more about? A specific programme? Generally how to do this or that? or how a computer works?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.