Ad-Aware 2007 free version

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
la vache!

Ad-Aware 2007 free version

Post by la vache! »

Does anyone else use this? I can't seem to download the new definitions file today - I just get an error message 'SSL download failed'. I'm getting fed up with it, never had any problems with the old version. Can anyone suggest a good alternative to Ad Aware if not? I use it in conjunction with Spybot and AVG. I suppost it could be AVG, although it has never caused me any problems before (like Norton used to).
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

LV,

I have been using Ad-Aware for many years without any problems. Just now, using the Update Manager, I have searched for updates but it is giving me the message that there are no new updates available. I think that it updated automatically within last 2 days. If you are having problems since installing the 2007 version, maybe reinstalling might be a solution??

Recuerdos,
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

CostaBlanca wrote:LV,

I have been using Ad-Aware for many years without any problems. Just now, using the Update Manager, I have searched for updates but it is giving me the message that there are no new updates available. I think that it updated automatically within last 2 days. If you are having problems since installing the 2007 version, maybe reinstalling might be a solution??

Recuerdos,
I've already done this, it hasn't solved the problem, unfortunately, I still get the same message.
Anno

Post by Anno »

I'm having the same problem today, but didn't yesterday. With the old version I once had a similar thing that lasted several days before finally sorting itself out, so I hope the problem is with them and not us!
In the new version I don't like the way that once you click on "mise à jour" nothing appears to happen, you don't know for a while (currently, till you get an error message :( ) that the programme is actually responding...
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Anno wrote: In the new version I don't like the way that once you click on "mise à jour" nothing appears to happen, you don't know for a while (currently, till you get an error message :( ) that the programme is actually responding...
I hate everything about the new version! The old one was much easier - and the updates always worked. Maybe it is just a temporary thing, I hope so.
Anno

Post by Anno »

Just for information, it's working again for me now... takes ages to react then tells me I've got the latest files anyway!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Anno wrote:Just for information, it's working again for me now... takes ages to react then tells me I've got the latest files anyway!
Hi Anno,
yes, just tried and the web update works for me too. It must have been a problem their end.
ravetildon
Location: I love Travel! - We Are Based Around San Francisco, California

info

Post by ravetildon »

I also use it along with a few others. It's best to use a few different ones as each one does something a lil bit different..
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Is adware the same as spyware and who do you recommend. I tried to download AVG's free spyware after our computer crashed only to find out that they now charge for it.

Ravetildon
If one uses several different ones are they compatible with each other?

Chianti
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Ad-Aware and Spybot work fine together. I run them weekly with Avast anti virus and CCleaner. I've never had a problem with a virus.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

La Vache

I forgot about Spybot, which I used to use many moons ago. I'll download both now.

Thanks

Chianti