Guest Questionnaires

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.

Do you make use of guest satisfaction questionnaire?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:18 pm

Yes
17%
No
61%
Have done in the past but not now
4%
Considering it
17%

Total votes: 23

Sue Dyer

Guest Questionnaires

Post by Sue Dyer »

We've often wondered about leaving a satisfation questionnaire in the cottage for departing guests- does anyone else do this?

So far, we've only had 2 moans - no potato peeler and no tea strainer!! As things seem to run okay and we get repeat bookings I'm not sure if it's the "if it ain't broke.." thing....

I'm wary from evaluations of events at work that sometimes if you give people the chance to moan, they do!! We get lots of glowing praise in the guest book and I hope if there was a problem guests would make us aware of it.

I'd be glad to know fellow rental friends views...

Wow!!! Is this our first poll too????
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

This is a good question indeed. My reason for presenting our guests the opportunity to "moan" was two-fold. Firstly, I did not want our guest-book to become the place to leave complaints, if any for everyone else to see!
Secondly, yes, I think that it is important to know if everything is up to scratch. I can tell the difference between a genuine complaint and a copmplaint made "just to moan about something".
I have had a complaint complaining about the birds' chirping in the morning - I took it with a pinch of salt!
Anopther complaint was the lack of a continental type coffee maker/brewer - I went out and bought one, not something that will break the bank.
I think they are inportant, as I would rather be alerted by a paying customer and remedy the situation, rather than lose repeat bookings or "word of mouth advertising" due to some pittance which could easily be sorted out.
Malta – always in the sunshine!
konrad

Post by konrad »

Yes, good idea. Because guests feel awkward telling you what they really thought but they will feel OK writing it in a questionnaire. You'd be reminded of anything you have forgotten to supply in your house. Maybe we are so involved we cannot see clearly from an outide perspective.
What do you put in a questionnaire? I mean the questions you would ask?
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

Typical questions I put in our questionnaire form are as follows:
How did you come to know about our property - eg. website, friend, etc.
Did you find the accomodation comfortable, cosy and to your expectations?
Did you find the environment quiet & relaxing / too noisy etc?
Is there anything you would reccomend to be included / removed from the property?
Overall, did the property meet your expectations and do you consider it "value for money"?
If not, please specify.
Were the furnishings and appliances provided satisfactory to your requirements?
Would you reccomend us to your friends?
General comments:

I have found the feed-back to be very usefull and honest. I have rarely had a complaint, on the contrary, most guests give you positive feedback which helps you to know that you're on the right track!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Thanks everyone - this is the kind of thing which proves this forum in invaluable to us!!!! I've picked up quite a few points and I'm going to go for a questionnaire for next season using the tips given.
It's interesting with the poll that "No" is in the lead... Thanks everyone for taking time to vote or reply. :P
Ju

Post by Ju »

Guest questionaires are also a good way of keeping a record of satisfied customers.

I have heard of cases where a serious complaint has been made, and legal action threatened and misteriously the vistors book has disappeared.

As you keep hold of guest questionaires yourself they can then be used as evidence of satisfied customers in the past.

We also find it a very useful way of getting ideas from customers, some of them are obviously not serious, but others have been good ideas which we have implemented. We also use it as a way of gauging interest in ideas we have had (eg would you be interested in internet access). Some things can cost money to implement so it is good to get a feel from the customers as to whether is would be worthwhile.

Ju
paolo

Post by paolo »

Good discussion this - I have completely overlooked the idea of a guest questionnaire in my properties but I can see that it is really another important step in your communication with your guests.

Not only will they apreciate the opportunity to give their opinions, but you can discover ways to fine-tune your operation that you may not have thought of. And it also makes us look more professional, or more accountable.

Any other suggestions for what goes in a questionnaire?

I feel a newsletter article coming on.... :D
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Thank you everyone! I have spent the last couple of weeks wondering whether or not to a "questionnaire" or not as well as our guest book and it would seem that the general consensus is that you do get good feedback.

Thank you also to John Borg for sharing the questions he asks. Anyone else happy to share their questionnaire?

Christine
www.stybarrowcottage.co.uk
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

Thank you Christine for your feedback. I too would like to know other owners' opinions andviews re: questionaires. What would you ask your guests etc? One thing I like about it is that due to the fact that my guests come from all over Europe, their "normal demands" differ from each other, thus I try to accomodate everyone's likings. The coffee machine item was a point in case. Now, some people, such as the Italians, would prefer an expresso type machine!
I also believe that my guests the questionaire as a sign of efficiency and good organisation. Obviously, it's also a sign that you care about what your guests think - very important for repeat bookings. Like I have already said, you can't please everyone, but at least you can try to deal with the genuine requests, always bearing in mind whether your budget can afford it.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Other areas that could be covered in a guest questionnaire:

How did you find the booking process?

Was the house as you expected based on what you saw on the internet? Better/worse? Was there anything ambiguous or misleading about the way it was described in our advertising?

Were the directions easy to understand?

If you had any problems, were you satisfied with the response time, quality of help provided?

Did you find the information pack useful, was there anything missing? (same question for the 'How everything works' instructions.)

What did you miss not having that you have at home?

Will you come again?

Would you like us to email you periodically with our news?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Susie G

Post by Susie G »

I'm planning on sending out questionaires to people who've stayed, but by email rather than leaving a paper one at the house. Is this a good idea? I am thinking that a paper one could get overlooked or eaten by a dog!

Thanks.
Susie
paolo

Post by paolo »

Susie,

I think that's a good idea. Guests may not want to fill in a form in the rush of leaving on time. But if you email it to them in the week following their stay they are much more likely to respond I would think, and to give you honest, useful answers.

You could just send it in plain email form, and they could type in their answers between the questions.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

We send our questionnaire when we return the holiday deposit. It is one page, with about 20 questions split into categories. As well as picking up gripes and tips, we also see it as a way of linking the client into an ongoing relationship (as well as a discount as returning guests and an introduction discount if they bring in new guests).

Cromercrabholiday
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hi Cromercrabholiday,

Can you tell us what is the proportion of questionnaires you get back from renters?

Thanks.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Close to 100%.

I forgot the other welcome tip - as well as a bottle of wine for the adults, we ask for the children's ages on booking and each child gets a present on their pillow appropriate to their age and gender. We were in Prague a couple of weeks ago and came back with ten keyrings with medieval knights helmets - perfect for teenage boys!