A Floorplan-based Photo Tour: Instructions

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
vrooje

A Floorplan-based Photo Tour: Instructions

Post by vrooje »

Hi all,

It appears there is some interest in the idea of a photo tour based on a floor plan. So I made up a separate page with step-by-step instructions for doing this. It should be accessible to anyone who can use the basics of graphics program and HTML editing. No javascript knowledge required. Because it's so detailed, it's rather long, but hopefully each step isn't too complicated.

Here's the URL for the how-to: http://www.experienceburgundy.com/fp_tour/

I used Paint Shop Pro and a simple text editor to do this, so even if you don't have Photoshop or Dreamweaver or any other relatively expensive web publishing/graphics tool, you can make this (PSP costs $100, but you can download a free trial version of PSP from jasc.com).

For you techies out there, this may be too detailed for you -- but in essence, it's just a javascript onclick image swap. Nothing too horrible.

Cheers!
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

Brooke,

That is an absolutely magnificent document you have produced - you have taken the mystery out of the process. Thank you so much for the time it must have taken you to do it. I salute you!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Oh, I'm blushing -- :oops: Thanks!

I admit that the how-to is the reason I didn't post anything on the forums yesterday. :) But actually, it'll be good for me too, so that I'll always have documentation of how to do it!
Brooke
Winifred

Post by Winifred »

The floor plan came up almost instantaneously for me, as did the pictures - and my broadband is the cheapest one (I don't know what speed). But reading how to do it, even without understanding it, has made me very very late for bed!
Thanks, anyway, it's very interesting.

Good-night!

Winifred
Winifred

Post by Winifred »

It was actually 12.30 am here when I posted that last one!

Winifred
enid

Post by enid »

That's brilliant - thanks for all the work. I thought of e mailing the URL to my son to action for me but then I decided that your instructions seem so clear I would really like to have a go myself. Don't know if I'll find the time at the moment but I am definitely going to try when I next do a web update.
debk

Post by debk »

We're moving right now so I'm way behind on reading the forum but ****GRACIOUS**** this is excellent information. Hats off and many thanks!!!
debk
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

Well I am updating my website and want to thank you for your instructions. My friend has been playing all weekend and so far has come up with this.

http://islacanelaholidays.com/ih/virtual/fp_off.htm

He just needs to finish it off now..

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...I really love the idea...your a star!!

SARAH
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Sarah,

I'm so glad it has been useful! :)
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke,

I remain to be convinced that virtual tours have anything to do with getting bookings but as a way of enhancing a persoanl Website I think it is nothing short of brilliant. As an ex-techie I love the simplicity of it.

Alan
Sarah's Web Man

Slight problem with coding

Post by Sarah's Web Man »

Hi Brooke

As Sarah as already mentioned, I've created a test page using your code (Many thanks). There is a slight problem on the initial start up when the page loads in that the blank image just appears as if it is missing (and before any one says "the image is blank....")

Can you please take a look at the link Sarah has posted (Please ignore the Guinness bit, that's my hint to Sarah to get the beers in!) and if possible, tell me whats wrong?

Many thanks again Brooke, fantastic idea and I know Sarah likes it

Lee
www.customsoftware.co.uk
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Lee,

When I right-click and choose View Image, I get a message that islacanelaholidays.com/ih/virtual/images/blank.gif cannot be found... so perhaps that's it. Does blank.gif actually exist?

(Silly question, I know -- but best eliminate the obvious things first.)
Brooke
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

Yea, I have no idea how you both did it ...but I think its great.. You are both super stars. :)
SARAH
Sarah's Web Man

Hi Brooke

Yes, it does exist. The file exists in folder \virtual

The path in the code for the file shows \images\blank.gif

If I change the \images\blank.gif to just blank.gif or \virtual\blank.gif then the virutal tour stops working all together.

Any suggestions?

Lee
Sarah's Web Man

Here's another problem now..... Just changed the path to try a different approach and it's not working at all now. Any help would be appreciated

Lee