Bathroom scales

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Mouse

Bathroom scales

Post by Mouse »

just been tying up the details of our first guests of the season and got asked if we had any bathroom scales on the premises as they wanted to weigh their baggage before boarding their return flight - they're travelling with a budget airline.

Seems like baggage restrictions are hitting home.

We do have some which we can leave in the villa when we move out.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Martha

Post by Martha »

interesting!! We have a baggage scale at home that we don't use much - I might hang it up in the shed.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Savvy travellers have these http://www.lakeland.co.uk/F/keyword/lug ... duct/21561

My case is always on the limit when I come back from the States so I've found them invaluable!

I'm sure the non savvy ones will be grateful. Good idea!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Could be a USP Martha! :D

Mousie
x
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

hmm...we always bring an extra bag and pack inside a suitcase and weigh at the airport...just in case! (we have gone over the limit...my husband was mortified, but I sat there in the airport and repacked and redistributed the shoes and all was fine! had packed my kid's suitcase light) I DO weigh at home before we go...but...I have avoided any THOUGHT of a scale at my house in Italy (!!!!) I would be TOO tempted to get on it and that would ruin MY holiday ;-)!
LaLuz

Re: Bathroom scales

Post by LaLuz »

Mouse wrote:just got asked if we had any bathroom scales on the premises as they wanted to weigh their baggage before boarding their return flight - they're travelling with a budget airline.

Seems like baggage restrictions are hitting home.

Mouse
x
I bought some last year for this very reason.!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

We've had the indignity of having to take dirty washing out of our case bits at a time and have the case reweighed. The rest of the line were thrilled.... :oops:

(We had very smelly handluggage after that!)
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

HI Mousie
I did mention ages ago that we supply bathroom scales, have done from the beginning, for luggage purposes not people :wink:
Just got back from Hols not at ours and bought one of those useful luggage weighing doo dahs[think MG mentioned using one as well] that fit easily into a suitcase.
But in Spain there's scales in both houses.Cheap as chips. :wink: :D
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

Big Sis.. wrote: But in Spain there's scales in both houses.Cheap as chips. :wink: :D
Sent hubby out in Spain to buy scales as I was having a packing nightmare.

He came back with a set of those hi-tech BMI calculator things. It's supposed to do everything except the wine and chocolate out of your hand - cost him 30€! :roll:

They are so complicated I've never been able to work them so bought a cheap set here in the UK and took them out on my next visit :oops:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Excess baggage charges are seriously scary - so well done all you for supplying scales. I just hadn't thought about the trip back...but I suppose people want to take duty free plus other purchases.

I might buy a set of those handheld scales Sue - they look a lot easier than balancing on a set of scales with a heavy suitcase :P

Mouse
x
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

With Ryanair Mousie, you cant even pool your weight, there must be 15kg in EACH case..
You dont really want to be moving stuff from case to case at the airport, also be aware that Duty free stuff must now be able to fit in your hand luggage bag, along with your handbag.

Weve never paid excess, and never will, not bad considering in the past weve took out 2 safes, a nest of tables, and a satellite dish[though not necessarily in that order] :wink: :D
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Weve never paid excess, and never will, not bad considering in the past weve took out 2 safes, a nest of tables, and a satellite dish[though not necessarily in that order]
Wow! I'm in awe BS! You're going to tell me you have one of those carpet bags a la Mary Poppins aren't you? :lol:

I know where to come to for any tips :D

Mousie
x
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Bathroom scales are so unreliable for weighing luggage, particularly if you are so close to those ridiculously low limits.

Yes, the technique of weighing yourself, then yourself holding the suitcase and subtract the two is probably the closest, but even if you lean over a little its dodgy to say the least.

We invested in one of these for home, but this thread is a good reminder that we should probably buy one for the holiday home as well.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Holiday Almeria

Post by Holiday Almeria »

We bought some scales at Christmas, and leave them in the bathroom. Not sure how accurate they are as sometimes I think the scales at the airport abroad must be doctored. Don't think they can get away with it so much in the UK as if they are charging for excess baggage, I would have thought they would have to be calibrated regularly.

Mark
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Wow, what do you all pack? :lol:
Brooke