renting a phone & London hostels & entertainment

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
A-two

renting a phone & London hostels & entertainment

Post by A-two »

My daughter's mobile phone cannot be upgraded for her impending trip to the UK to enable international roaming. Since she will be traveling around for 2 weeks, it's going to be diffiicult to keep in touch unless she has a mobile with her. Can she rent one at the airport on arrival? (Heathrow). Do you know the cost and can it be arranged in advance? Failing that, can she buy an international phone card to use in a payphone? Do payphones even exist any more?

Also, apologies for being off-topic, but do you know a good clean hostel in central or SW London where she could stay for 3 nights on arrival August 15th, easy distance to West End and tourist spots? Friends in Parsons Green have offered to accommodate her, but at 20 and traveling with her boyfriend, she would prefer independence. She is thinking about Globetrotters Inn, but I am not sure about Hammersmith. I thought she might be better off at Astor Kensington, although I think that might be on top of Gloucester Road tube station, so probably noisy. We're looking here: http://www.hostelworld.com/hostels/London

Any suggestions and tips for trendy, artsy 20 somethings in Central London, fun things to do and places to go much appreciated. Is there a "must see" show they should kill to get tickets for? I already have Oyster cards for them. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by A-two on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Joanna

Hope her trip goes well. :)
It is possible to buy international phone cards I get mine from the Post office...... but Im sure theyre available anywhere..
There are public phone boxes still about .......and also ones in pubs etc..so she will have access.
Im sure that people will be able to suggest somewhere for her to stay, but dont forget Nightie has accomodation in London which is easily accessible to the West End.

Youve asked for a lot of different questions on here and I wonder if it will get picked up on with a title of 'Hiring a Phone' I would give the accomodation/entertainment one its own heading as it might be missed..........

Take Carexxxxx
A-two

Post by A-two »

Thanks Big Sis, I changed the title. Kind of you to suggest Nightie's place, but they are looking for a hostel because they think it will be more fun to meet other 20 somethings.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Sorry, cannot help with suitable accommodation, but for phones, just pop into the many mobile phone shops dotted all over London and purchase a bottom-of-the-range phone with a pay-as-you-go service. Total cost should be less that $50 and unlike phone cards for payphones, it means you can also call your daughter (to check up on her - as if you would !)

This is the sort of example package.

Assuming she isn't fashion conscious about phones !

Finally, a warning: with these sort of phone packages, receiving international calls can be an expensive surprise for the recipient.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

You can get a bottom range pay as you go phone (Nokia) for about £20 (and sometimes less). This is what I provide at the flats for our guests to use whilst in London. And as suggested, it means you can call her as well.

If they are in London they could do worse than checking out what is on at the O2 - it's a great venue and has far more than just concerts - you can spend a whole afternoon and evening there - there's places to eat etc and it's so spectacular at night when it's all lit up outside and in.

They'll probably want to check out Camden as well.

Trip Advisor suggestions look good.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDeta ... e_and.html

EVERY one I know who has seen the Woman in Black says its brilliant. My 19 year old son loved it.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
A-two

Post by A-two »

Nightowl and e-Richard,
Thanks very much. Phone solution is perfect, also common sense is now prevailing regarding accommodation. Nightie, of course your places are both booked for Aug 15th/ 16th/ 17th, as is the Lux Pod, too bad, but I wouldn't expect anything like that to be available this late unless there's a cancellation somewhere. These Y GENS expect instant gratification, so there's no point in suggesting they could have planned a little more ahead..... :roll:

I'll suggest Woman In Black, and send trip advisor link, thanks for those.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

There's plenty of info on hostels on Trip Advisor if you go to the London forum and put 'hostel' in the search. All look a bit run down but then I'm not a youngster.

Saw a suggestion on there that might interest you. It's renting university rooms, the guy on forum suggested London School of Economics (near Tate Modern apparently) but this link to all university accommodation might be worth a look
http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Travel/Acc ... ntRoom.htm

My daughter is 22 and loves London (although in Aus at the mo). I know she loves Brick Lane for a good curry :lol: and the bars in the city.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

A-two,

I can also suggest the guide book Let's Go London, which your local bookstore is likely to have. The Let's Go series are travel guides explicitly for young travelers on a tight budget (the backpacking-across-Europe types). The book is bound to have plenty of recommendations for hostels and they're all personally reviewed -- the hostels don't write the copy for their description.

I have never used the London book, but their Paris book was fantastic when I used it back in the day.
Brooke
A-two

Post by A-two »

All suggestions passed on, thank you so much.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

My friend suggested Duck Tours

http://www.londonducktours.co.uk/aboutus.htm

an amphibious craft that does land and river tours around London, goes around London then down a ramp at various points on the river and then onto the water....

Also I'd recommend the South Bank. I went out with a friend last night. We walked down the south bank from the Wheel, towards the National Theatre, which had an african band playing outside so we stopped and had a couple of beers whilst sitting out in the evening sun listening to the band, then walked down to Gabriels' Wharf, lots of lovely little eateries and pubs overlooking the river, had something to eat, then strolled back again and found an 'electronic light and sculpture show' along the riverside - a sort of interactive musical lightshow that you wander around and set off all sorts of lightshows around you. It was great.

Yes, I know what you mean about pre planning the bookings - I've been booked for August for some time now in both flats (although I still have one week at end Aug in one flat if anyone is looking) ... but check out Holiday Lettings and Holiday rentals who both have have quite a good London section- you might still find something to suit.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
A-two

Post by A-two »

Nightowl wrote: Also I'd recommend the South Bank. I went out with a friend last night. We walked down the south bank from the Wheel, towards the National Theatre, which had an african band playing outside so we stopped and had a couple of beers whilst sitting out in the evening sun listening to the band, then walked down to Gabriels' Wharf, lots of lovely little eateries and pubs overlooking the river, had something to eat, then strolled back again and found an 'electronic light and sculpture show' along the riverside - a sort of interactive musical lightshow that you wander around and set off all sorts of lightshows around you. It was great.
That sounds great, wish I was there!

Thanks for the other suggestions. Those with 20somethings will understand when I say that this will never be appreciated for at least another decade, that events have somewhat overtaken plans as today's crisis is a car breakdown, also what are we doing about college fees due for next semester before I leave, and will the passport in the mail arrive in time, and by the way I met an old schoolfriend on Facebook today and we're going to meet up in London, not sure when, but isn't that exciting, so all plans may change ..... and I thought it was supposed to get better after terrible twos.... but ya gotta luv 'em. (Just don't get a day job for a few decades after you have 'em).... :lol:
Last edited by A-two on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Ha ha A2, my sympathies ! Both kids supposed to travel for a bit and come home, daughter met bloke in Melbourne & has cris crossed from Aus to New York & back to Melbourne to be with him. Son has employers in Brisbane that want to sponsor him....will they ever return....watch this space :wink:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm