The weather .... anyone got a crystal ball ??

For topics that are specific to mountain locations, please go here.
Beanie

The weather .... anyone got a crystal ball ??

Post by Beanie »

Is it just me or does anyone else here loathe being asked to predict what the weather will be like at any given time?

We often get asked what the temperatures will be like in certain summer months, which is highly understandable as for many, they need a little reassurance that Summer in the Alps can be beautiful (and sometimes a little changeable !).

However, what I really hate is having to 'predict' snow.

We've just had a nice-sounding family from Thailand wanting to come over for "the holiday of a lifetime" (no pressure then) for the first week in December to show their children snow - and ideally snow in the garden. Not just on the trusty nearby all-year-round-covered-in-snow Glacier, or on the high mountains directly facing the chalet, but in the garden so they can wake up to it. :shock:

Hmmm, well, given the non-summer we've had in the UK so far, and the general 'nonsense' that seem to be the Seasons these days, I just do not know what to say. So I've gone back saying that typically the snow starts falling in mid-November (can sometimes even be light snowfall in late October) and by early December it's typically snowing regularly but with bright sunshine. I've also sent snowy-garden shots taken one November to emphasise the point. However, the weather in the Alps is very difficult to predict yada yada.

What else can you say ? They have to do their own research and then ignore it and pack light layers, which is what we do !

It's a tricky one when someone's coming all that way for the "holiday of a lifetime" and given what's going on with Global Warming, temps might be well up in the 20s !

Heigh Ho.

:shock:
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Takes me back to the Canadians from hell who complained that we had too much snow in November! We have a page on the website giving a rough idea of the weather and events through the year and also temperatures rainfall/snow which we do ourselves. Even so, you are absolutely right, no guarantee of anything!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

You would have thought that Canadians would have been used to snow in November.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Our feeling exactly AND it says so on our website!

Back to the original question: the mornings and evenings already have an autumnal feel about them. It was the same this time last summer and it was snowing hard by late October.......
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

You would have thought that Canadians would have been used to snow in November.
:D probably sick to death of it! I lived in Manchester for over 18 years and wouldn't risk a monsoon season anywhere! :lol:
the mornings and evenings already have an autumnal feel about them.
Oh - how lovely...I'm dreaming of log fires, jumpers and hearty winter stews. I always do at the end of August (roll on November!)

On thread...I know what you mean Beanie. We get asked about temperature, especially in September and it's SO difficult to predict as it can be a lovely month, but can also be quite wet...or hot with an indian summer!
I think people expect wall to wall sunshine and hot temps...but we're a very green island and I think most think Spain is the same heat all over.
We don't rent in October but if I get asked about availability I always (whilst saying no) will advise them that the weather is unpredictable and whilst the sea is still warm, swimming pools aren't.
I hate to see disappointed holidaymakers

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We are fortunate that most guests don't expect wall to wall sunshine and heat in summer and in fact quite a lot come specifically to avoid it. A handfull still seem to have unrealistic expectations - our mountains are bright green because of the rain (and white in winter of course!)
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Quote:
the mornings and evenings already have an autumnal feel about them.
Thats how it at the mo in Norfolk...... and most of the UK I reckon.......and its August. :shock:

we lit a fire the other night :roll:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've got a family leaving today that come specifically to avoid the heat, and enjoy the empty spaces They have very small children and find the Med beaches too hot and crowded in August.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

They have very small children and find the Med beaches too hot and crowded in August.
yes I would agree that it's a perfect destination alternative to the heat of the coast. I think the alpine regions are under sold in this respect as I'm sure there are plenty of things for children to do, and the weather is more ambient.

Mouse (who adores Asturias in August)
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

There are still water parks, swimming pools, and adventure playgrounds, so loads for them to do. We even have a swimming lake.