my website - please review!

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Pete Wyatt

my website - please review!

Post by Pete Wyatt »

Please feel free to review my website. Feed back gratefully received.
Thanks
Pete
www.searosecottage.co.uk
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

Hi Peter :)

I think you need to make it clearer on your welcome page exactly what your offering. It doesn't say the word "holiday" anywhere. Also you need a better photo of the property or area to go here rather than one with palm trees!

You're also missing bedroom photos!
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
goosie

Post by goosie »

Hello Pete - welcome to LMH!

You seem to have done well on your bookings for judging by the availabiliy calendar - well done!

On the website, forgive me for being sceptical but the photo on the first page looks a bit too much like somewhere in the tropics. I'm not saying that Reighton isn't sunny but the subsequent photos don't live up to that expectation - so either you find lots of palm trees and sunny beaches or you give a more down to earth feel.

You don't have anything about the area - I have to confess I don't know where Reighton is (so maybe it is sunny bahamas?!) :)

I also notice that you have the full address of the house - unless you live right next door, I would suggest you didn't do that as that, combined with the availability calendar could be put to some other uses as people case the joint knowing it has no-one in it. If people are really that interested you could give that information privately and put on your website a feel for distance from the sea for example.

I would also like to see more photos of the house - it does seem to be what people look for on our website.

Good luck, and welcome again
Titti

Post by Titti »

Hi Pete and welcome
if I have a choice, I never rent a place if I do not have a picture if the outisde of the house. In addition, a picture showing that the house is in a nice setting is definitely a winner.

From the pictures one does not get immediately if your house is in the village or just by the beach. What's at walking distance from it?

Then, I am one for a bit of romantic sentences: where is this lovely house and why would I really really want stay there during my holidays? What's so nice about it?

And last, I love to see why the house is confortable and has a bit of ambiance. In the picture of the lounge you mostly see a big piece of empty floor. How about a vase with flowers somewhere, a colorful throw on the couch or your classical wine for two set on a little side table?
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

Using IE7 on Windows XP on a 1024 x 768 screen:

Page 6 has a script error:

Start date is a Saturday. So Saturday is change over day. If you require a different change over day please ask as it may be possible to accommodate this.

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->

Short stay – either Friday till Sunday – 2 nights

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->

Or Friday till Monday – 3 nights

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->

Or Monday till Friday – 4 nights
<!--[if !vml]-->

<!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->

The text runs off the edge of the page on first.html

on 3.html some of the images are missing including:
moz-screenshot-5.jpg

& there is another code error

<!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->

It would help your search engine placement if you had meaningful page names & more of a description in the page title
"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools."

Group Captain Sir Douglas Bader
Pete Wyatt

Post by Pete Wyatt »

Brilliant,
thanks very much to you all.
what an excellent forum.
points taken. i think i still have some work to do!
Pete

anyone else have any more opinions?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I notice on the guests comments page that you have the guests full names, email addresses (assuming they are real?) and also IP addresses. I would not expect to find any of these on a comments page - just the comments themselves and maybe a first name and month/year possibly?

Have these details appeared because the guests are posting direct to your site, if that's possible? Excuse my ignorance!
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

Hi Pete

When I look at vacation rental sites, I do so from a renters viewpoint, particularly those in UK, because when I come back to UK to visit family we always choose a rental property.

If I wasn't looking at yours for a review purpose I doubt I would have gone beyond the first page. With so many listings and web sites vying for a renters attention, it has got to grab me from the outset with some attractive photos and a reason to get me to look beyond the index page. I am drawn by a good photo and some eye catching text with encouragement to look further.

As Tree Peony and Goosie have already said, the front page image gives a Caribbean impression and doesn't mention where the property is.

Can you take a better exterior photo? The one you have is a little fuzzy. Some greenery by the front door - a shrub or a standard would help to add some colour and bring attention to the door. The picture of the garden looks really nice but would benefit from being taken on a blue-sky day. What is the exterior of the property like taken from the garden?

What is Reighton like? I see there are a couple of pubs and its quieter because of the by pass. You might find it more effective if you were more descriptive about the village. How far is it from Filey? What is the countryside like around the village? What other sight seeing opportunities are there.

There's so much potential here for making this a reallly attractive site, and I'll look forward to seeing your updates.
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Pete,

My single comment is to get rid of the "welcome page" and make your "cottage " page (amended as suggested above) into your home page.

Welcome pages are a waste of time (the website visitors time) and that is very precious !
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
KerryL

Post by KerryL »

Hi

This is my first visit here & I can't believe I haven't found this forum before.

Anyway I agree in that the welcome page might put people off as it is just not clear that you are renting a cottage in Filey. I live in Yorkshire the & 'Carribean' looking photo simply doesn't look like Filey.
I am new to all this but I think that there are so many sites fighting for attention your first page needs to make them interested straight away and have the very best photo you have of your cottage and make it very clear where it is.
No problems with any of the text viewing it on a Mac with Firefox.

I think the point about having your full address on is important, you don't know who could be looking at your web site. I will be changing my own site now - thank you.

Kerry
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

Welcome Kerry and Michael :)
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
KerryL

Post by KerryL »

tree-peony wrote:Welcome Kerry and Michael :)
Very kind of you
- this is a terrific site.