electricity meters - do they exist in France?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Washy

electricity meters - do they exist in France?

Post by Washy »

Hi there, I am very new to this forum. I have done a search but could find no information on this topic. Do electricity meters exist in France? Other wise how to do other people charge for electricity especially in the winter.

I have spent hours on this wonderful site today and am on a steep learning curve. I take possession of my first gite, a village house in the Corbieres, next week and have a long winter let starting at the beginning of September, so the next two weeks are going to a bit of a rush. Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks
Washy
enid

Post by enid »

Welcome Washy - an intriguing user name!

We have a meter just as in the Uk - we also have subcounters installed in the gite (as recommended by EDF) so we can monitor electricity use in the gites.
Washy

Electricity meters

Post by Washy »

Thanks for such a quick reply. I also meant to ask if pre-pay meters or slot machine/card meters are also available. Electricity is a novelty to us, we have lived for three years at our mill, without a supply, using solar panels and generators, so to have electricity in the gite which is in the village, is something new....!!
Thanks
Washy
Renaud

Post by Renaud »

Washy,

I presume with that 'nic' that you will be contributing to the 'towel' thread? Sorry if that sounds 'cryptic' at the moment, but I'm sure you'll know what I'm on about soon enough.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, by the way!

I was a bit taken aback with your enquiry at first. But your subsequent post explains 'where you're coming from'!

I had always assumed that all properties with an electric supply were metered, but it would appear that previously you were 'outside the system'. I'll have to ask you more about that at a later date.

Finding out where your local EDF office is would be useful. There will certainly be one in your departmental 'capital town', but there may be one more local. When we visited with queries of ours they were very helpful. I don't have knowledge of pre-pay meters etc, so can't help you on that.

Sorry!