Sky TV in Spain

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Paul Carmel

Sky TV in Spain

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hello you lovely people in Spain,

I realise its possible to get SKY, but do you really need a 1.5 meter dish? Are there any other options to pick up basic terrestrial UK channels?
Cheers
PC
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Paul - I think the size of the dish depends on whereabouts in Spain you are....there are some areas where you only need a 1.2 to get some of the channels.

We're so far south (with a mountian near us with transmitters etc) and need a 2 mtr dish to ensure the best all round reception.

I know there are some adverts from companies advertising receiving TV progs via the internet...but don't know a lot about it.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Thanks Mouse,

I just found a list of dish sizes for the various regions in Spain and if our plan comes off we will need one at 1.8 to 2 meters in Barcelona :shock: It's telly not Nasa.......I think the Internet option might worth looking into.

If you go over 1 meter in France you supposed to get planing permission.............but frankly round our way its taken with a pinch of salt.
Cheers
PC
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

If you go over 1 meter in France you supposed to get planing permission.............but frankly round our way its taken with a pinch of salt.
I don't think planning permission applies in Spain (well I've never heard or read anything that suggests so) but you can sometimes get the 'community' rules applied if living in an apartment block - so always best to check.

So - is this a hint that you may be buying in Barca?? :D

Mousie
x
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

"So - is this a hint that you may be buying in Barca??"

No, but we have the potential of a long let for next winter, so we have put name down for a mooring in Port Vell, smack in the middle of Barca, so we would sail over and spend the winter in the city for change of scene.
Cheers
PC
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Sounds fantastic Paul!
Hopefully you'll get out and about too and travel around the mainland (the trains are fab to get around on) - there's just so much to experience

Mousie (who loves Spain)
x
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

That's the plan, a bit of traveling and bit of city life.........We also plan to take in the Baleares on the way back so you never know.
Cheers
PC
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

:D

put San Jose down for the 19th March 09 - it's fiesta time and the whole village goes 'Flower Power' on the nearest Saturday night (day-glo church, open air bar with bands, DJ....flares and afro wigs a definite neccessity!)

:lol:

Mousie
x
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Well, we just got a e-mail saying that we have a place in Port Vell Barcelona for the winter! :shock: So I am waiting for a weather window to make the crossing from Corse to main land France.............Monday is looking good.........so we will be bobbing along the French coast for about 3-4 weeks, Then onto Spain! So if you are out and about look out for sailing boat called Carmel, and it might just be us.....and G&T's will be had! Like wise if you are in Barcelona give us a shout.
Cheers
PC
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

My friends near Alicante have a 2.4m dish.

If you find yourself in the Port Camargue to Palavas area - say 4 - 9, give me a call and I'll try and get down to the coast (I'll go anywhere for a G&T !) :

www.the-languedoc-page.com/tourism/lang ... ling-1.htm

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Will do Peter, I think Port Camargue will be on itinerary.
Cheers
PC
paolo

Post by paolo »

Paul, I think you really have life sussed. Check out Cadaques on the way to Barcelona, it's a lovely little fishing village.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

paolo wrote:Paul, I think you really have life sussed. Check out Cadaques on the way to Barcelona, it's a lovely little fishing village.
I don't think Cadaques has a marina, but apparently has sheltered anchorages :
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 9&t=k&z=16

There are similar sheltered anchorages at Port Legat which is the location of Dali's house.

Also nearby is el Port de la Selva which has some good restaurants nearby. The pontoons have good wifi. The yacht clubhouse has a pool & restaurant, too :

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 27637&z=15

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Thanks guys the more info the better! We are bound to get laid up for a week or so un route because of bad weather, so these little gems are really useful.
Cheers
PC
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hello Paul,

A bit late......

This morning, I had a dish installer reposition a redundant 60cm dish (originally installed for Digital +/Spanish Digi TV) towards the Sky transponder in my apartment using an expensive metre for precise alignment. The balcony isn't really large enough to accommodate a bigger dish. Surprise, surprise I now receive some of the news & movie channels which was the most that I could expect. With a card, I would also receive Ch. 5 and related channels. Due to our extreme eastern location (same for Mouse), a big dish (2.4m is the norm here) is required if you want to get the Beeb and ITV/Ch.4 stations.

So, I would imagine in Barcelona that a 1.5m dish would be more than adequate to get most of the FTV/FTA Sky channels. You could try Digitalspy or similar forums to get a definitive answer.

Also Spain has Terrestial Digital TV (TDT) with 26 channels and many of the films and sitcoms are broadcasted in the original language. A new TDT receiver costs from 30E but as all new TVs are already equipped with TDT, you might be able to pick one cheaper. You would need to find out first what type of arial is required in Barcelona.

Let us know if you venture down the coast or over to the Balearics. I am sure that you will have a wonderful time in Barcelona - the city of Gaudi.

Saludos,
Maria