Do they think before typing?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Musetta

Do they think before typing?

Post by Musetta »

got this one today and had to share:
no #of guests or dates...only name, phone number and:

"Is it hot in Italy in the summer months?"

:-) DUH! (sent her back a link to weather averages) You'd think people would be embarrassed to send emails like that!
Marks

Post by Marks »

Bless :lol:
paolo

Post by paolo »

Is it hot in Chile during the summer months? I haven't been so I really don't know.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Chile?

MG
paolo

Post by paolo »

Chile is an example of a place far away that I have no knowledge of - just putting myself in the shoes of the enquirer.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Just the question I was going to ask. The list of countries where I would need to ask this question is quite long!
Jenroy

Post by Jenroy »

MG

I feel your question was lost in translation!!!!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Musetta, where is the guest from - any clue?

But I would rather do my independent research than email the owner with a question like that. For one thing, you're more likely to get an objective answer! At least you gave her one, but others mightn't!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Paolo wrote:Is it hot in Chile during the summer months? I haven't been so I really don't know.
Margaret wrote:Just the question I was going to ask. The list of countries where I would need to ask this question is quite long!
Yes, but as GG says, your first line of enquiry about the climate would not be to ask a rental owner, would it?

Unless the enquirer is bonkers.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

How about doing both and checking how honest the owner is?
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Im often asked about the weather at different times of the year and always answer honestly!!..........

I also usually include a weather graph.....
Luckily the weather throughout the year is generally good in our area of Spain............['onest injun] :)
Marks

Post by Marks »

Big Sis.. wrote:Luckily the weather throughout the year is generally good in our area of Spain............['onest injun] :)
Hmmmm. It's been persisting down all week :x
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Tis twu but it waited till I got home!! :wink:

and the rains warm................chin up its getting better soon......
http://www.torreviejainformation.com/th ... orrevieja/
well at least in Torre............. :)
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

OH records max and min temperatures and actual weather each day (well, he was a bank manager in a previous life!). We put the month's summary on the web site. First snow here last week!
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

guess my point should have been that everything is relative.

How in the world can anyone answer an "is it hot" question?

What is HOT to one person can be chilly to another! My Irish husband thinks it's ROASTING in Italy in summer...I wear a denim jacket and sleep under a duvet many an evening ;-)

I really hesitate to give weather advice...EVER...and always direct them to the weather AVERAGES to the area...I had a guest really upset last week that the weather was so cold and rotten (it Italy) Thank GOODNESS I didn't give her weather advice at all - last year, I was there myself mid-September and it was hot! (up to 90f)...think it got up to maybe 50f. Of course, I did email my next guests to tell them the weather had turned chilly and gave them a link to the current weather...but they are English and laughed at me and told me not to worry, they're sure they'll manage :-)

As for Chile, Paolo ;-) I don';t know either...but that's a heck of a trip and a very expensive one with the cost of flights alone....so I wouldn't be looking for a property to rent there without either reading, at the very least, a guidebook to the country or looking up a tourist site on the internet to get an idea ;-)

p.s. would not have thought it odd if she had asked the temps. about my specific TOWN in So. Italy...i.e. "is it around the same temps as Naples? warmer, colder, etc."

it was just the "Is it hot in Italy" that cracked me up :-) It's not like the weather in the Italian Alps is the same as Sicily :-)